X

Just had 600 mile service done

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had 600 mile service done

Hi Everyone, I just had the 600 mile service done at my local dealership...I can't believe what a big differance it made in the way the bike is running now. It idle's perfectly smooth, is about half as loud when running, and shifts much smoother. I thought the $383 was a little steep, but after riding it home I quickly changed my mind...it was definately worth it. IMHO the 600 mile service being done at the stealership is a must even though it's expensive...
    I'm loving my bike more everyday and I appreciate all of the help from everyone on KatRiders over the past 4 weeks...your all great!
    See you out on the road...Take care

Great!
    Happy 6 thousand more.....

Comment

Terrific!

Next services:
      Oil change at 3500 miles.
      Same service as what you just got at 7000.

Enjoy the ride!

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm loving my bike more everyday and I appreciate all of the help from everyone on KatRiders over the past 4 weeks...your all great!
        and THAT, is what its all about

Comment

Glad to hear everthing is great. Happy riding!
          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Just got mine done today. $271, I get a 10% discount because I bought the bike from them. It does idle smoother, seems to shift a little smoother as well. Now that I have 600 miles under my belt I guess it's time to work on my one-handed wheelies. Or trade my Kat in for a Gixxer or 'Busa..............maybe I'll wait untill I get to 1000 miles...then I'm sure I'll be ready to move up!

Comment

Mine was around $170 and i thought i had a tick to it afterwards, kept bringing it back and they kept telling me that was normal. I guess ill find out over the next 10000 miles.
              Ride On,
              Jon

Comment

Re: Just had 600 mile service done

Originally posted by JoeCool
                ...I can't believe what a big differance it made in the way the bike is running now. It idle's perfectly smooth, is about half as loud when running, and shifts much smoother. I thought the $383 was a little steep, but after riding it home I quickly changed my mind...it was definately worth it. IMHO the 600 mile service being done at the stealership is a must even though it's expensive...
                The $383 cost seems a bit high, but apparently your bike needed more than the usual adjustments. It didn't idle smoothly, was loud, and shifts weren't smooth. Maybe the California model also requires a bit more work to do the 600 mile service.

Your next service may not be that expensive, although I don't know if mechanic rates are higher in CA than most other places. Housing costs are higher, as are gas costs, so maybe.

Comment

I believe the hourly rate was $78hr...don't know if thats high or not...but heck everything in this state is over priced...

Comment

I believe the hourly rate was $78hr...don't know if thats high or not...but heck everything in this state is over priced...
                    That would be enough to justify the cost difference between there and here, once you factor in a nice oil-recycling fee that's probably also applicable in California...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I got 14,000 miles on mine...don't know what the previous owner did.

What is the next major service I should do?

Comment

It's always a good idea to get as many details on maintenance from the previous owner as possible...

Myself, I'm pretty paranoid about every being perfect...so when I buy a used bike I pretty much just start going over every thing with a fine tooth comb...check the major stuff first, stuff that goes bad over time and is critical...tires, brake fluid, and oil would be at the top of my list. When ever you change the oil, change the filter too, it take but $5-6 more and just a few minutes. You might want to check your cables and lube/adjust them. Check your brake pads, turn signal, brake, and headlight bulbs.

I would take it to a stealership and have the carbs sync'd and valves adjusted. In my opinion this all you need from them...you can do everything else for the most part, it's really not that hard. You can always get help from people here on KR if you get stuck and there is more than likely someone who lives close by who could also help you.

I'm not saying you have to hog wild and do all of these at once, but you'll get to know your bike better and have peace of mind knowing everything is perfect after you do...

Motorcycle riding is dangerous there's no doubting that, but don't ride a bike that might not be mechanically sound and up your chances of getting into an accident...

Be safe and let us know if you need help...wishing you and everyone on KR the very best

Comment

I would take it to a stealership and have the carbs sync'd and valves adjusted. In my opinion this all you need from them...
                          Just be aware that many dealerships charge more for the two operations requested above than asking for the full 15k service, because of how time is calculated in the labor manuals (the 15k service assumes you only remove & install the fairings once; asking for both the valve adjustment and the carb sync causes most service advisors to look up each item individually, which means you are double-billed for the removal/installation of the fairings/tank/etc)

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So far I have done...

oil changes
                            oil filters
                            cleaned the carbs
                            carb sync'd
                            ignition advancer
                            new air filter
                            new plugs
                            new tension spring
                            rebuilt brake calipers all around
                            new SS brake lines all around
                            new hh pads

What else would be involved in a 15,000 mile service beside valve adjustments?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                              What else would be involved in a 15,000 mile service beside valve adjustments?
                              Only retorquing certain bolts (brake caliper mounting bolts, exhaust header bolts), and possibly some time-related replacements (fuel lines, vacuum lines). You've pretty much covered everything else!

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X