Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

any differance between 97 gsx600f katana & 97 gsx600f ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any differance between 97 gsx600f katana & 97 gsx600f ??

Hey guys hopefully you can help me.
    Tryed to find this out but had no luck on google.
    I live in the uk and have just brought a 1997 gsx600f katana (has katana down the side)
    Any way my mate has just brought a 1994 gsx600f (not a katana) to me they look identical , but there must be some difference surely!!?
    Many thanks
    steve

Originally posted by stevefin78 View Post
    1997 gsx600f katana ... 1994 gsx600f ... but there must be some difference surely!!?
    Yep. Major differences.

1) About 3 years in age
    2) The "Katana" badge
    3) The mileage
    4) Probably the colour (although hard to tell without photos or a full description)

Some markets call it a GSX600F. Other markets call it a 600 Katana. Looks like you Poms have a mixed market and a little bit of both. Or perhaps a previous owner who sourced a Katana badge. So, unless there was some sort of special edition GSX600F released in the UK that was called a Katana (unlikely), you and your mate have the same bikes.
    Last edited by TRPUT; 05-09-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Yep. Major differences.

1) About 3 years in age
      2) The "Katana" badge
      3) The mileage
      4) Probably the colour (although hard to tell without photos or a full description)

Some markets call it a GSX600F. Other markets call it a 600 Katana. Looks like you Poms have a mixed market and a little bit of both. Or perhaps a previous owner who sourced a Katana badge. So, unless there was some sort of special edition GSX600F released in the UK that was called a Katana, you and your mate have the same bikes.
      yes i know theres a age difference and milage and colour thats obvious!!
      What i ment was are there any machanical differences in the katana or gsxf?
      Or are there no differences exept a badge/ decal??

Comment

I don't know if it is the same in the UK as it is here, but there is a slight difference in the motor. The only practical effect of that is that the 96 and 97 600s use a different spark plug than the 88-95. IIRC, they may be a different valve adjustement set up too, but I've slept since we had a bike with a pre-600 motor, so I don't remember for sure. I do know that the spark plugs on the 96 and 97 motors are the same ones the post 98 600 motors use and the 95 and earlier use different ones.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

My 97 uses CR9EK NGK plugs and has a shim over bucket style valve adjustment system. Ive read on here but never confirmed the 92 and older have bolt style valve adjustment. Theres a good chance they both will have the same valve adjustments, possibly plugs too. Here in the US the GsxF is a katana.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by stevefin78 View Post
            Hey guys hopefully you can help me.
            Tryed to find this out but had no luck on google.
            I live in the uk and have just brought a 1997 gsx600f katana (has katana down the side)
            Any way my mate has just brought a 1994 gsx600f (not a katana) to me they look identical , but there must be some difference surely!!?
            Many thanks
            steve

To clarify, there are minor differences through the years of the gsxF model bikes, and by country code they were manufactured for. In the US and Canada, they were all badged and sold as "Katana". In many parts of Europe and Australia they were not badged as Katana. It's the same bike with or without the katana badge. Minor differences may be seen purley because of the year model or country the bike was made for.

Katana or no Katana has nothing to do with it but graphics.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The difference its just the decals one its Katana and the other one its GSXF

Here in Brasil decal says GSX750F but all stuff that I bought in USA carburatos with Arsenic 2 years without any clean its Katana model, clucth, cables, filters, spark plug, roots with with Kreylyn all I bought as Katana 750 - 1995 and part numbers match with my owners manual in portuguese that says GSXF

Comment

Working...
              X