X

Grinding/knocking sound???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding/knocking sound???

I just purchased this 2002 Katana 600 a few weeks ago for a pretty good price. It has almost 20,000 miles on it and I'm not a bike mechanic but just started yesterday after going on a short trip,appears to be making a knocking or grinding sound coming from the back wheel or near that area. I can't really tell unless I'm in 1st or 2nd gear and riding it. It wasn't to bad yesterday but now its getting noticeably louder and can feel the vibration more. Anyone know what this can be???

Wheel bearings shot, chain too tight / loose, broken teeth on sprockets? Axle in alignment?

Comment

There's a manual available for download - sit walks you through the basic maintenance stuff. It shouldn't new too hard to figure out which of those things it is. A little intimidating perhaps if you're new to wrenching, but at least it doesn't sound like its coming from your engine.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ok got a little more time for a more thorough suggestion. Try sticking it Neutral, up on the centrestand, ignition off, put the key in your pocket.

Rotate the rear wheel with one hand, look for the chain slapping the swingarm or kinking up. Check the sprocket for any broken or missing teeth. Check the brake rotor for scuffing from damaged/worn pads. Replace as needed - remember chain and sprockets are a set. DO NOT RIDE until fixed!

Check rear axle for alignment. Some peeps say to ignore the stamped marking on the swingarm as they are innacurate - but I've had pretty good success with mine. You can usually see on your tyre surface if it's really badly aligned - there will be swirly scuffs and unever wear.

Grab the rear wheel with both hands from the back - and try and twist it up, down and sideways. If you have any movement at all - bearings or axle are shot. DO NOT RIDE until properly repaired.

If all seems ok so far, keep it in Neutral on the centrestand, put key in and start it up. Look at the chain and see if it bounces and slaps anything while the wheel turns really slowly (loose/kinked), or if it stays utterly straight and won't move (too tight). Turn the bike off, and get the chain tension into spec, if everything else checks out ok. Clean and lubricate the hell out of it, hopefully it's a simple fix!

If you can't get the chain into spec - DO NOT RIDE until fixed. New chain and sprockets for you!

If the brakes are buggered - you'll hear a steely rasping noise as the wheel turns. Sometimes it's just surface rust on the rotor disc, sometimes it's the pads worn down to the metal. Only inspection will tell you which. If you feel a pulsate on the rear brake lever, it's possible the disc is warped. DO NOT RIDE until fixed.

If not - good luck! The service manual Shpielers mentioned will help you a lot, and the peeps on here are a very helpful bunch. Oh - and for the love of #deity, if they say "Clean your Carbs!" they MEAN it! lol

Comment

What he said. DO NOT RIDE! Until you figure it out. He hit the nail on the head.

Comment

What they both said... hearing your bike slide up the tarmac is more painfull than the hurts you'll get from sliding up the tarmac yourself !

Engelskmannen.
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Originally posted by Engelskmannen View Post
              What they both said... hearing your bike slide up the tarmac is more painfull than the hurts you'll get from sliding up the tarmac yourself !

Engelskmannen.
              I can agree

Comment

Working...
              X