X

Vulcan 500 vs Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulcan 500 vs Katana

I have my 2000 Vulcan 500 up for trade and I was offered a 93 Kat 600 with 16k miles. I am fairly new to Katana's so I was wondering if there is anything to look out for with that year? The kawy is in good shape, but I'm not a fan of cruisers. Especially forward controls. I think the trade is worth it, but was hoping to get some of the opinions of those who ride Katana's or any information I could get.

Very reliable bike as long as it is maintained. Cheap to insure. Not a true sport bike but, not a true touring bike either. A mix of both.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm going to take the trade.

I'm not really into super sports...I had a zx9 a bit ago and it was too much, espcially for this area.
      Last edited by Kshirk81; 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You'll like Kat, very comfy on long rides.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Something to consider - it's an older bike - how much tlc will it need? Some bikes that age will need tons, others are good to go, depends on the owner(s).
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

True, from the pictures, it looks pretty clean and well taken care of. 16k miles is pretty low for that year. I'm hoping to see it today.

The Vulcan needs some work, so I'm ok if it needs some minor things. Unfortunately the bike was left outside by the previous owner. No real rust but it was blown over during Sandy. Has a nice dent in the tank. I think I'm going to go for it.

Comment

Tank might need de rusting. Por 15 works well if that's the case.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

only issues I am aware of on the older Kats is that 2nd gear goes out if it has been misused, but with only 16K miles, I am sure it is fine.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I'll check into it. The swap isn't happening for a few weeks.

Comment

my Vulcan seemed underpowered before trading up to my current ride..

Comment

Working...
                    X