No announcement yet.
X

Signal Generator Cover Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do still have the indicators may be some time until I get to them though - am away from home.

If you've got oil seeping through the JB - I'd suggest scraping it off and looking for a hydrocarbon-proof sealant. It's more likely there is a hole or crack that you cannot see. The only fix is a new cover and gasket.

What you can try, is scrubbing the damaged area with steel wool and acetone, get a blow torch and some thick solder, and braze the entire area. It won't look pretty at all, but it's got a better chance of being sealed than any putty. You will, of course, have to make absolutely sure all the crap is removed, and soldering aluminium is a pain in the arse at best. I did suggest against JB weld in the first place.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy replacements!

Comment

hit me up when you get back in town, and can send them. I'll try to keep a little in my paypal acct. i tried putting a little more jb weld on it. i got the water/oil resistant one. when i applied it it kept wanting to bubble up, so maybe I got a little bubble under it.

I ordered a cover today, and the gasket I will order tonight. So they will be here next week.

How does oil get in this compartment? I know its common for a little oil to be in there, but when i put a new cover and gasket on should i drop a little more oil in there?
      99 Katana 600

Comment

no, it will come naturally.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X