Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can fuel stabilizer cause white exhaust smoke?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can fuel stabilizer cause white exhaust smoke?

Just bought a 94 Kat which has been fully winterized according to the previous owner. When I was up there looking at it it had some very white smoke coming out the exhaust. He said it was just from the fuel stabilizer and after the tank was run down and topped off with more gas that would go away. Should I believe him or should I investigate further?

Thanks
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Can fuel stabilizer cause white exhaust smoke?

Just bought a 94 Kat which has been fully winterized according to the previous owner. When I was up there looking at it it had some very white smoke coming out the exhaust. He said it was just from the fuel stabilizer and after the tank was run down and topped off with more gas that would go away. Should I believe him or should I investigate further?

Thanks
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

White smoke can also be caused by over rich mix. Like from poorly adjusted F/A mixture screws or a stuck float.

Did the exhaust smell of gas?

Comment

Nah not too bad for a bike that was just started, that was the first thing I did was stuck my nose in the pipe. I think you answered my other post about the bike occasionally cutting out after it was revd high quickly. I wonder if it is related to this?

So then fuel stabilizer doesnt cause white smoke?

Comment

Doesn't cause it?
          I have no idea! I have never used it..
          Sorry,

Comment

Ah ok. What do you do during the winter then? Do you drain the tank and bring it in the house?

Comment

i have used fuel stabilizer in the past on my ATVs and sometimes it did cause heavy white smoke, but it is beter safe then sorry, checking the f/a is a good idea. also white smoke can be caused by an excesive amount of oil being burned. this could be from bad rings or a cracked gascket.
              WHEN IN DOUBT , HIT THE GAS.

Comment

Originally posted by jdumont View Post
                Ah ok. What do you do during the winter then? Do you drain the tank and bring it in the house?

Winter? We don't have winter in Texas.. And I don't have the bike here in St Paul. In New England I used to drain the carbs and tank in winter

Comment

You don't need to start more than 1 thread to get your question answered.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Steves. Don't know what I would do without your infinite wisdom.

I hit the submit button twice by accident.... sorry. I wont make that mistake again.

Comment

white smoke can also be water in the gas from sitting in a cold damn winter area run the tank thru and it should be fine
                      I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

I say drain the gas as much as you can then run it to see if the smoke stops. then put nice new gas in. He will let you ride it wont he?

Comment

Originally posted by JMILDOC View Post
                          I say drain the gas as much as you can then run it to see if the smoke stops. then put nice new gas in. He will let you ride it wont he?
                          Heck I would try and run it on a jug of gas and see if it clears up.
                          Like a cheap Aux tank set up.. Or just pass on it. Seeing that it will run without smoke and that throttle issue clears up are important to deciding if it is a decent bike or a POS..

Comment

Originally posted by jdumont View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up Steves. Don't know what I would do without your infinite wisdom.

I hit the submit button twice by accident.... sorry. I wont make that mistake again.
                            Condescension noted. Next time you could have just hit "report post" and someone would have removed it for you.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Steves i dont even know how to do a post. does that count for anything

Comment

Working...
                              X