X

#1 cylinder not firing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 cylinder not firing

Ok, so first off, I just bought a 97 Katana. It runs fine, except two problems: 1. it only runs on prime...thanks to krey i will most likely rebuild it myself.
    2. #1 cylinder is not firing up. The first thing I did when I noticed the problem was to check and replace the spark plugs. The plug for that cylinder was pretty dirty and very crooked. Anyways, plugs are sparking and replaced. Still, not firing. Then , the carbs were cleaned..still not firing. Any ideas on why this could be happening??? Thanks
    jayskat23

Not running at idle means your pilot jets are plugged with dirt or rust. Did you do a spit test on the #1 pipe? I use a spray bottle to see how fast the water will evaporate.

Comment

I used a spray bottle, the water actually touches and sits there very noticeable, the other three cylinders it evaporates right away. The carbs were just cleaned. BTW, i dunno how long ago it was, but congrats on getting your cylinders running
      jayskat23

Comment

Originally posted by riverajay23 View Post
        I used a spray bottle, the water actually touches and sits there very noticeable, the other three cylinders it evaporates right away. The carbs were just cleaned. BTW, i dunno how long ago it was, but congrats on getting your cylinders running
        Okay, you have narrowed down the problem to the cylinder, but not if it's spark or fuel.

Pull that plug out, ground it on the frame or engine, turn it over... verify if there is spark. Make sure you have it grounded well. If there is spark, you have a fuel delivery issue (carbs most likely).

If no spark, with a new plug... you may want to check your wire, it's plugged up correctly at the coil, check the coil is good, so on...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

before the carbs were cleaned, i had sparks...I'll re-check to make sure there is sparks. if there is, what kind of problems should I anticipate, stuck floats, valve needle, should the carbs be syncd. thanks.
          jayskat23

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
            Not running at idle means your pilot jets are plugged with dirt or rust. Did you do a spit test on the #1 pipe? I use a spray bottle to see how fast the water will evaporate.

Comment

Isn't the Kat a waste spark engine?

Gotta be a fuel and/or air issue. Carbs need all the air passages good and clean as well as the fuel passages.

Comment

Working...
              X