No announcement yet.
X

#4 cylinder not firing... please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4 cylinder not firing... please help!

This started happening today. I was stopped in traffic when all of a sudden it shut off. I tried to start back up and it sounded like there was a dead cylinder. I tried for 5 minutes at the side of the road and all of a sudden it started right back up like nothing was wrong. It happened twice more on the way home.

I thought it was ignition related, so when I got it home I pulled the plastic off and checked every wiring connection that had to do with the coils and ignition. Everything looked fine, but I didn't pull the plugs. It seemed to run fine until about 10 minutes ago.

I got it to idle, but it was running funny. I checked the temp at all 4 pipes... #'s 1-3 were in the 400 degree range, #4 was 150 F.

What should I try?
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Plugs

Comment

Could it be something so simple?

sigpic

Comment

Spark plugs are the easiest to check. based on the description. When it did fire up did you get a pop sound like a firecracker? It would be that plug catching finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
          Spark plugs are the easiest to check. based on the description. When it did fire up did you get a pop sound like a firecracker? It would be that plug catching finally.
          Honestly, they ARE about the easiest thing to check.

Comment

I think the magnetic flux-inducing capacitor with 220 electro high discharge coils are going bad. but really i think that's the easiest thing to check
            Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Compared to pulling the carbs and cleaning them or digging into the engine I would say that pulling the plugs would be easiest. It doesn't mean they are easy and quick though.

Comment

I'm an idiot for not checking them when I had the tank off.

sigpic

Comment

yes, yes you are

Comment

hahaha

Comment

Here is a helpful tip: go to the auto store and buy the self adhesive vinyl trim and trim the edge of your tank. I have had my tank off so many times I chipped the crap out of the paint. A full tank is heavy.

Comment

Well I checked the plugs... the ones that were in there were practically brand new and they all looked perfect. I replaced them with properly gapped new plugs from the dealer anyway. I checked and used dielectric grease at all connections at the caps, coils, and even the coil connectors. I started the bike back up and it's still doing the same thing.

It started and ran fine on all 4 cylinders, then after a while it started running like a cylinder was missing. The #1 and #4 cylinders started to go cool while the #2 and #3 were 450 ish. I thought I might have a bad coil but it tested OK as per the shop manual. I put it back together one more time and only the #4 is running cool again.

I don't know if I've ruled out an ignition problem or if this is carburetor related. The problem is intermittent, and I can't run the bike with the tank off.

I don't know what to do next short of towing it to a shop.

sigpic

Comment

I brought it to the shop.

sigpic

Comment

Should've cleaned your carbs. A sticking float will do the same thing. It'll wash the plug out with gas, and then it won't fire. Happens to me all the time because I still need to clean my tank out.

Comment

Well it turns out it was the coils. They replaced the battery too because it was crap.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X