X

Rear Cushion Lever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Cushion Lever

Have any of you replaced the needle bearings in the rear cushion lever (the part that bolts to the lower rear shock mount and frame)? I am currently taking apart my swingarm to have it powder coated, and I am going to replace all the bearings that are associated with the rear suspension.

Looks like these bearings haven't seen any grease in about 18 years. Any suggestions on how to lubricate these bearings?

yeah, I've done it. It's really easy, use marine grade grease and just pack those beeches.

Originally posted by ramblindoug View Post
    Have any of you replaced the needle bearings in the rear cushion lever (the part that bolts to the lower rear shock mount and frame)?
    That's not the rear cushion lever. The cushion levers are the dog bones, that's the rear shock knuckle.
    Last edited by arsenic; 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Clean them really well and inspect them for damage (if you think they have been dry)
      This is a load bearing part but not a high cycle part. (Only moves a little) If it looks OK. Get a tube of good quality moly grease and just force it in with your fingers. You can pick up grease almost anywhere. Cheapest way to buy it is usually in tubes meant for grease guns.
      That's not the rear cushion lever. The cushion levers are the dog bones, that's the rear shock knuckle.
      Actually the "dog bones" are the Rear Cushion rods. And the "knuckle" is the Rear Lever.
      Last edited by Black_peter; 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry I had the wrong name of that part. I looked at the shock knuckle bearings and they are really worn. I can hardly turn the bearing. Time for replacement.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry I had the wrong name of that part. I looked at the shock knuckle bearings and they are really worn. I can hardly turn the bearing. Time for replacement.
          No worries.. Arsenic just knows everything! I was just winding him up.

Check to see what the lead is on those bearings. What year BTW?
          You might do better trying to get the bearings from a bearing supply company. Both in terms of price and ship time.

Comment

I have a grease gun and a professional grade bearing packer, but BP is right, just force the grease in with your fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              I have a grease gun and a professional grade bearing packer, but BP is right, just force the grease in with your fingers.
              Oh man... Lets hope Nero doesn't catch wind of that line...

Comment

It's a 1990 600. I was going to check with a local bearing supply company for pricing, once I get them out.

Comment

Well you have three bearings in there:
                  09263-20070 RN 20X27X30 BRG
                  09263-17037 RN 17X24X25 BRG (Quanity 2)
                  09263-17034 RN 17X24X26 BRG

The size is:
                  ID X OD X Length.

all pre 98 Kats use the same bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Oh man... Lets hope Nero doesn't catch wind of that line...
                    what? He'll make fun of the professional grade bearing packer comment or what? I don't see anything in there that's funny. Sweet that was my 5000th post, it only took 3 years and a few months.

Sorry I had the wrong name of that part.
                    I wasn't being a dick about that, I was just pointing out the correct name of the part.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                      yeah, I've done it. It's really easy, use marine grade grease and just pack those beeches.

Actually....

The rear cushion lever IS the piece that bolts to the frame, also where the lower rear shock mount bolts, and where the cushion lever rods (That bolt to the swingarm on the other end) bolt to..

Comment

Sorry Can't Be Helpful
                        my name is pablo I come from mexico I work at texaco I earn a dollar each day.
                        I go home to lucy she gives me some ** she earns a dollar each day.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                          Actually....

The rear cushion lever IS the piece that bolts to the frame, also where the lower rear shock mount bolts, and where the cushion lever rods (That bolt to the swingarm on the other end) bolt to..
                          you're right, I researched it, and Suzuki does refer to that as a cushion lever.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                            X