X

JB weldable or supergluable fasteners

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB weldable or supergluable fasteners

Ok folks I am planning on some mods and after looking at the mesh mod and such I wonder "is there a better way?"

Is there a fastener that can be jb welded or super glued to the plastics to make it so that the mesh could be removed at a later date.. Maybe changed out because of a ding and such. Also this is something i would want to add for the leds so i did not have the Drill into the plastics.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Sounds like fabricating something (little metal fastners) or something to the fairings to hold mesh in place sounds do-able. Maybe epoxy or silacone them in.
    I am sure there is a better way, I think we tend to do it the easiest way.
    Duct tape is an option, not permanant, easily removed
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

What about something like those rubber grommet/pointy things ? Like the stuff that holds side covers on cruisers ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My take on it has always been to use a putty style epoxy (JB Weld works) and put very short bolts on the inside of the fairing. Let it dry, drill the mesh if necessary, put neoprene washers on the bolts (to reduce vibes), then bolt it down with lock nuts or regular nuts with lock washers. This lets you easily remove it in the future in case of fairing damages or mesh damages (or need for ongoing mechanical access), while still giving you a permanent mod.

One word of caution: be careful about how much clearance you have between the fairing when mounted and the frame/engine/etc, so the bolts you use aren't too long.

Any form of reusable attachment system would work.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

maybe velcro with some stronger adhesive like 3M weatherstrip adhesive?

Comment

jb weld works great just dont use it to hold a spark plug in place on a car ...it tends to blow out not matter how much you put on there.....trust me lol, i would try a metal fastener but if you cant make something go for the jb weld

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
              maybe velcro with some stronger adhesive like 3M weatherstrip adhesive?
              I hope that was a joke... Velcro wouldn't last because of the temps it would be exposed to over time from the engine when it runs hot.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

when I did my mesh mod, which by the way, if u click on my personal gallery, its listed there with pics inside and out. There isnt much clearance at all for kind of even semi decent size bolts, so be careful.

i used mostly jb weld and havent had a problem since..and rode in some pretty hot temps since i installed the mesh. 95 degrees, humid, the whole 9 all day..and its held up great so far.

but when i send in the plastics to empiregp to get the dings fixed, they'll have to come off, and I'll redue them when I get it back.

cut the mesh to fit as close as possible..and make sure its going the same direction..

Comment

yeah I saw you mesh mod... maybe I can be a trend setter and come up with a new way of doing it... maybe something that will make them replaceble.
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

What about this, if you put down a layer of jb weld, or epoxy or whatever, then put down a film of something possible duct tape, and jb weld the mesh to the tape. Then if you need to replace, you could just peel the tape off of the original layer? Might work
                    "Do or Do Not, There is No Try!"
                    -Yoda

"Ryde or Die"
                    -DMX

Comment

You could JB weld some magnets to the plastic and mesh. Just make sure you get to polarity right.

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
                        yeah I saw you mesh mod... maybe I can be a trend setter and come up with a new way of doing it... maybe something that will make them replaceble.
                        if u do, let me know, cuz mine will have to come off to get the plastic fixed. !!

Comment

I posted a similar question on katana planet before the whole fiasco over there. Any way i will take some pictures of what i came up with, when i take my plastics off this weekend. It's do-able and i like the way it turned out, for the most part. I just don't like the mesh i went with. i will probably change it in the future.

I should have some pics up monday

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                            I posted a similar question on katana planet before the whole fiasco over there. Any way i will take some pictures of what i came up with, when i take my plastics off this weekend. It's do-able and i like the way it turned out, for the most part. I just don't like the mesh i went with. i will probably change it in the future.

I should have some pics up monday
                            Hey, dont I know you? What kinda mesh did you get that you dont like now? That's gonna be a pain to swap it out for some different stuff though.

Comment

What about JBing some small nuts to the fairing and useing tie wraps through the mesh?
                              PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                              The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Working...
                              X