Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

$$ valve adjustment, carb cleaning, and new valve cover gasket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$ valve adjustment, carb cleaning, and new valve cover gasket?

Hi to all. Does anyone know a ballpark # on how much it should cost for local bike shop to clean 4 carbs + rebuild kits for 2, also adjust the carb floats adjust the valves, and new Valve cover gasket.? Just want to see if the local bike shop is on the "up and up" the bike is a 2006 katana 600 Thanks

Shops suck at carb rebuilds, PM me if you want a set of rebuilt carbs 10x's better than your local shop will do. I'll take your current set as a core also.
    [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190635443712&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06[/ame]
    Does your shop do that? Cause I do.

Comment

I would guess 4.5 hour job for the carbs at $85 an hour.

2 hours for the "valve job"

$30 a pop minimal if they did the "kit" but more likely they will order parts individually... probably $50 in carb parts per, Gasket probably $35-$40...

My guess on an estimate would be $700+ tax minimal...

Krey
      Last edited by ZukiFred; 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM.
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Not all shops suck at carb rebuilds, but the ones that are going to treat your carbs like there own are few and far between. I'd pick carefully where I took carbs to be rebuilt. It might be a better Idea to get some from arsenic and swap the cores. No matter what its going to cost you. better to pay once then find out the the dealership just wants you as a one time customer and not a client.

Richard
        96 Suzuki GSX750F
        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
        05 Yamaha WR450F
        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't pay anyone to do the carbs or lock nut valves...that will cost more than your bike is worth
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            I wouldn't pay anyone to do the carbs or lock nut valves...that will cost more than your bike is worth
            Sad but, some what true.
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

The guy at the bike shop told me he usually charges $125 per carb but since I have 4 he would do it for $60 each so $240 and since he would already have it apart he could do a package deal with cleaning the carbs adjust the valves and adjust the floats for $350. He also said 3 days max. I went to pick it up 3rd day and he said he had to order 2 carb kits and a new valve cover gasket.he said he would have it done the next day. I ask him how much with all the unexpected parts. He went on about how he is giving me a smokin deal. And said he would keep it cheap. I call today and now he won't have the gasket till Monday. So a week total if he gets it done Monday. And its finally going to b sunny this weekend

Comment

Good luck. Let the run-around begin. And adjusting the floats is part of a carb clean. Anyone that tells you different is a grade A hack job.

Comment

Yup.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lol

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have no faith in motorcycle shops in this area. And I'm no mechanic. So I guess it's Ouija Board and tumbling dice for me.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Dont let a shop or dealership deal with your carbs....
                        Send them to a professional that deals with proper carb cleaning. Most shops wont even seperate the carbs and soad them in an ultra sonic cleaner let alone clean the outside.
                        Most shops dont have the time or man power to put a GOOD mechanic on a set of carbs for a few hours. They just take the bowls off, clean out the jets and put them back together.
                        MANY MANY times I have seen people bring me carbs or a bike that just had the carbs cleaned and the shop never even removed the mixture screw plugs or screws. ETC

As far as the valves go... its not often a shop screws up something that simple. Its a daily service that every mechanic has the proper tools and specs for. A new gasket is always a good idea. I replace mine every other year/valve adjustment. I cant stand re-using hardened gaskets that will eventually leak again.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          I cant stand re-using hardened gaskets that will eventually leak again.
                          Just cover it in RTV, it'll be alright.

Comment

Remember how I said shop suck at carb rebuilds? That's what I meant. BTW, that "smokin'" deal, aint gonna be so smokin' when you get a halfass job.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              Just cover it in RTV, it'll be alright.
                              Most RTV silicone has no place in the engine department and is barely fuel/oil resistant and cant withstand the pressure and temps.

If I was to use anything it would be Threebond 1211 as a temp fix.
                              But seriously and with all due respect, my customers pay me to do the job right the first time, even if it costs them an extra $50.
                              They dont have sealant on them for a reason.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X