#4 carb air inlet valve

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4 carb air inlet valve

I have a 1997 GSX600F
    So I have looked at my manual and it states that the #4 carb has a inlet valve on the side that runs to my petcock. When I run the hose over to the back of the petcock it makes my engine rev higher. I turned down my idle all the way but still is at 3000. I unplugged the hose off my carb, yet it will die out. If I just put the hose back onto the carb I can get it to idle fine with a bit of adjustment.
    Am I missing something here? My petcock looks different them my manual does. My manual has one gas line out and then the valve on the back where the hose is to go. My tank has 2 gas lines. One on the left, one on the right and then the valve in the back.
    I am at a stuck spot here because of the idle. Any ideas? My other tank has the same petcock as the one on my bike also.
    I have called a few shops where I live and even some out of town. Everyone says it should go to the petcock except one place. They say to just leave it off. 1 out of 8 places said to leave it off. 2 places said they have no clue.
    So now I am turning to all you out there to see what I should do.
    Thanks

Your carbs may be dirty or you may have a vaccum leak. The petcock is vaccum operated, It must be connected to carb #4 vaccum port. High rev idle or hanging idle indicates a lean condition.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

1 said leave it off
      Don't go there.

That's the vacuum hose coming off the carburetor furthest left (#4) it goes over all the carbs, to the back of the petcock. Yes, your petcock should have two fuel outlets.
      Last edited by arsenic; 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

sounds like you have a post manual. there are two fuel feeds on a pre (before 1998), single on a post. also pre carbs do not have fuel filters, use stock air box and filter.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Not true. The 88-89 600 petcock only has 1 fuel outlet also.

Comment

So then dumb question if I should put it back on..
            Can I run something in my gas to clean out the carbs or just take them off and clean them out. Or rebuild them? I'll go get a picture and show something else on them too.
            Last edited by Briansgsx600f; 01-29-2012, 01:25 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I was waiting for comment on that one ,chris. I didn't mention it because he has a 97.

Why screw around, tear them down. they will stay running well and be more reliable much longer.
              Download the carbs 101 from wiki, read through it untill you understand what you'll need and what to do.
              get a can of berrymans carb dip, soak them for 12hr or more if you can.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-29-2012, 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

I'm Looking at the manual that was on the manual downloads, when it shows these it shows them as going to 1-2,3-4 but only a closed tube. On my bike it is a 3 way tube 1-2-up,3-4-up.Like a T but the T is upside down. This how it is to be or is that my leak? Hope I described it correctly.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Briansgsx600f View Post
                  I'm Looking at the manual that was on the manual downloads, when it shows these it shows them as going to 1-2,3-4 but only a closed tube. On my bike it is a 3 way tube 1-2-up,3-4-up.Like a T but the T is upside down. This how it is to be or is that my leak? Hope I described it correctly.

Those are vents for the carbs. Rubber Ts that connected to each pair of carbs, and OEM would have had a vent hose connected to them. The hose would drape over the airbox either side of the breather hole (you will see clips to slide the hose in) and then drop down to the bottom of the bike and left open. In case of tip over, fuel will flow out the vents. The hose allows for that fuel to drain elsewhere instead of on/in the engine compartment.

As mentioned your bike should have 2 fuel lines. I see a fuel filter on at least one of them. The location and setup of it may cause fueling issues for you later, but... they might work. Just note, if you have problems later with the bike seemingly running out of gas (rides fine for 5 mins then wants to die) it's probably associated with those.

The vacuum line on the petcock should connect just like Arsenic (Chris) shows you with his pic of carbs. The reason your rpms jumped up when you plugged it in was because you just plugged off a major vacuum leak. A common mistake when cleaning then doing a sync on the pre carbs is to forget to seal off that vacuum port, and that throws the sync way off.

I suggest you read some info on how the carbs work, and try to understand what every jet/port does. I also suggest you follow the carbs 101 in the wiki (link up on the bar at the top of page) for doing a full cleaning process.

I have some generalized pics that give you a basic understanding of how CV carbs work. If you want, I'll see about posting them in this thread.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok. Thank you Krey!!
                    Very much appreciate your time you take out to read and answer my questions and replies.

Comment

So I got laughed at a bit ago by the wife. Lol called me a idiot. I took the bike for a short ride to warm it up. Well I get back to check the pipes to see if they are warm. Well the first 2 weren't so bad so I figured the others weren't much hotter. Well this is where the idiot part fits in. I presaged my fingers on the third and ya it was hot. A lot hotter. So I pulled back. Said a bit of cuss words and that is where the idiot part fit in. She was laughing n says well ya idiot maybe you should have used the water bottle. I think I agree with her. But ya my first 2 pipes were not nearly as warm.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        Your carbs may be dirty
                        See post #2

Comment

Ok. I will clean them. Thanks!!

Comment

Why do people put off what they know has to be done? waist of time and effort. O.K. done ranting. ooooooh, I'm having a chris moment
                            If you need any help just ask. we'll give you a little rash but, don't take it personnal just same situation X1000.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Hm. I didn't think I was putting anything off. I've had this bike for only a couple weeks. Just as long as I have been in this site.
                              Wasting time and effort? Effort, I'm trying to figure out what to do since I had no idea. That's why I've been asking questions.
                              Wasting time? If I had wasted your time I apologize. But then again your the one who looked at the post I put up.
                              I apologize if I am not as up to date or smart as you are on things. If it comes to having to read snide little comments. I can do without YOUR help. If you had a bad day, go take your bike for a ride. I take nothing personal in life. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X