No announcement yet.
X

$1500 for a head job? REALLY?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they say "head job" or "valve job"? BTW a valve job and a valve adjustment are two very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffer949 View Post
      ...a head job could mean a vavle job is included in that price also then the price isn't that crazy
      That's still crazy high. Getting seats/valves ground and three new valve bushings installed (including drilling one broken one out) only cost me $150. Of course, that was with me dropping the head off at the machine shop. No installation labor involved.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        That's still crazy high. Getting seats/valves ground and three new valve bushings installed (including drilling one broken one out) only cost me $150. Of course, that was with me dropping the head off at the machine shop. No installation labor involved.
        No, it's really not. How long did lapping and installing the valves take you when you did it? Because if you pay a shop labor rate to do that. It's a pretty big job, and dealerships really only do that kinda thing in the winter, like now. Because it's a lot of work. You gotta pull the head, send it to the machine shop and get the combustion chambers cleaned. Lap the valves in, install the springs and retainers. Put the head back on, put the cams back in, adjust the valves. Leak down test, yada, yada, yada.

Comment

I can add no new comments toward your predicament as the others have already covered it. But I will recommend that if your bike is at RPM, get it the FO now!!!

Really just wanting to chime in on the Belleville IL thing...

I lived in Belleville for 3 years during my teens (A Stag brewery thing). Within those 3 years, I graduated from BTHS West (Maroons) and got an A.S. from BAC. As soon as that was done, I got the hell out of Belleville.

Well, until I wound up at Scott AFB for a couple of years later and then once more, got the hell out of Belleville when my duty was done!

Bellevue park...yeah...party place in the 70's. Used to love climbing to the top of it's rocket slide and quickly back down for the head rush back in those days. Now that I think of it, it wasn't the rocket that caused the rush, it was the self induced additives within my body that caused it!

I still know a lot of people in Bellevile and really hate visiting them becasue the place is pretty much a ghetto now. Can't tell too much difference between it and East St Louis now. Don't know how old you are but if you're not aware of the Signal Hill standoff, ask around and learn what it was. Dedicated Old Skool rebellion for sure!
          It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            No, it's really not. How long did lapping and installing the valves take you when you did it? Because if you pay a shop labor rate to do that. It's a pretty big job, and dealerships really only do that kinda thing in the winter, like now. Because it's a lot of work. You gotta pull the head, send it to the machine shop and get the combustion chambers cleaned. Lap the valves in, install the springs and retainers. Put the head back on, put the cams back in, adjust the valves. Leak down test, yada, yada, yada.
            According to the FSM, "DO NOT use lapping compound after the final cut is made. The finished valve seat should have a velvety smooth finish and not a highly polished or shiny finish. This will provide a soft surface for the final seating of the valve which will occur during the first few seconds of engine operation."

There is no valve lapping. Installing the valves, seals, springs and retainers took about an hour on my kitchen table. Hardest part of pulling the head (other than bracing myself for breaking into the engine) was getting the cams lined up right with the chain during reinstall. That took a couple of tries since the first time I was a tooth off after the chain was tensioned.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Naw, its at deekes. i tried to call RPM but no one answered. So i drug it to Deekes in Fairview. i live on the east end near Belleville East. not a bad area still. i tend to avoid the west end. Ive been here for about 13yrs. came from the chicago area before here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                According to the FSM, "DO NOT use lapping compound after the final cut is made. The finished valve seat should have a velvety smooth finish and not a highly polished or shiny finish. This will provide a soft surface for the final seating of the valve which will occur during the first few seconds of engine operation."

There is no valve lapping. Installing the valves, seals, springs and retainers took about an hour on my kitchen table. Hardest part of pulling the head (other than bracing myself for breaking into the engine) was getting the cams lined up right with the chain during reinstall. That took a couple of tries since the first time I was a tooth off after the chain was tensioned.
                Okay, find me a shop that cuts a new seat and doesn't just lap the valves in. A bike shop, not a machine shop. Yes, there sure as hell is valve lapping my friend. Are we going by how long it takes or what the book time is? Cause correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe every shop in the history of man goes by book time. Book time is usually way more than it actually takes. Feel free to quote the FSM (that's not the FSM BTW, the Haynes manual says that). The FSM (the one written by Suzuki) actually lists a Valve lapper set - p/n 09916-10910 as a tool you'll need to preform a valve job. Oh and they also tell you to cut the seat with a reamer. So, in conclusion, I've actually done this multiple times, on customers bikes, not my own. So quote the Haynes manual all you want, I'll continue to do it the correct way, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Blown head gasket would cause low compression, running like crap, and oil blown all over the top end / middle of the engine.
                  not necessarily. it all depends on where the gasket failed. if it is on the outer edge, yes, you will see oil coming out, but if it failed between cylinders, said oil will run into the cylinders, and not out around the head itself.

with that said.....$1500 is insane, even if that is the "going rate". there are tons of bikes that get wrecked, katanas included, so just pick up a complete low mileage engine from a salvage yard. $800, give or take, should do it.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                    There are tons of bikes that get wrecked, katanas included, so just pick up a complete low mileage engine from a salvage yard. $800, give or take, should do it.
                    Agreed

Comment

I have been talking to my local machine shop and asked for there service price lists and they claim to have a >$500 head job including valves and combustion chamber work... (I guess makes sure your combustion chambers all have the same volume or something like that.) For my rough estimate with out parts I was at 550-600 for something called a full block service. So I'm thinking about 1250 to get a totally machined motor if your building it your self and take it to the machine shop your self. keep in mind that doesn't include the bearings and seals pistons rods or any other goodies you might want to shove into the lump.
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

...A bike shop, not a machine shop.
                        No, a machine shop. The same one the local bike shop was going to send it to.

...(that's not the FSM BTW, the Haynes manual says that). The FSM (the one written by Suzuki) actually lists a Valve lapper set - p/n 09916-10910 as a tool you'll need to preform a valve job. Oh and they also tell you to cut the seat with a reamer....
                        No, that's the Katana 1100 FSM from Suzuki. I do know the difference and if I'd been quoting the Haynes manual I would have said so. I learned how to read a title page a long time ago; a couple of years before you were born.

Total cost to have my head off the bike, worked by a machine shop and reinstalled with several new valves, new bushings, seals, etc. was about $400 in parts. I did the work myself except for the head machining. That means the OP's shop wants about $800 in labor (yes, charged at book rate) to pull the head, send it off to be machined (which is what most dealerships do) and put everything back together. When you can either do it yourself or get a used engine for less than $500, that's insane.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Bring it to me, I have the room! I will not assume it is a head gasket problem until I look at it. Mojoe was right about the gasket can be bad without having leaks. If it has the typical seepage then it could be as simple as torquing the head. It does bother me that someone would bypass the cooler, especially if they did it the wrong way. I have oil lines so if that was the issue they no charge for lines but I will have to put the labor into the cost of the total fix. Send me a PM and we can talk through all of this. Not being able to know what the bike is doing exactly brings up many questions as to how and why the shop came up with their assessment of a blown cylinder head gasket!
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I've seen kat 600 engines on eBay go for 300-400 bucks plus shipping, so if you could find one for local pickup that would be the best bet. If you want to upgrade the b12 would be awesome.

Comment

I have a 1127 that might be for sale once it is rebuilt! By the way B12 is a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and the 1127 is the engine that came in the Katana 1100 and some GSXR 1100's, they all will fit with minimal work.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by DayKat View Post
                                I can add no new comments toward your predicament as the others have already covered it. But I will recommend that if your bike is at RPM, get it the FO now!!!

Really just wanting to chime in on the Belleville IL thing...

I lived in Belleville for 3 years during my teens (A Stag brewery thing). Within those 3 years, I graduated from BTHS West (Maroons) and got an A.S. from BAC. As soon as that was done, I got the hell out of Belleville.

Well, until I wound up at Scott AFB for a couple of years later and then once more, got the hell out of Belleville when my duty was done!

Bellevue park...yeah...party place in the 70's. Used to love climbing to the top of it's rocket slide and quickly back down for the head rush back in those days. Now that I think of it, it wasn't the rocket that caused the rush, it was the self induced additives within my body that caused it!

I still know a lot of people in Bellevile and really hate visiting them becasue the place is pretty much a ghetto now. Can't tell too much difference between it and East St Louis now. Don't know how old you are but if you're not aware of the Signal Hill standoff, ask around and learn what it was. Dedicated Old Skool rebellion for sure!
                                Yeah, I remember the Signal Hill standoff. I graduated from BTHS West as well, in 94. I kind of agree for the most part about Belleville, but there are surrounding areas that have built up, and other parts are nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X