#4 cylinder not firing... please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are "pre gapped" that is never right, yes you can gap them

Comment

I hope you're using something a little more scientific than splashing water on the pipes... like a laser thermometer. That's what I used.
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

why do you need to be more scientific then water? Hell, I spit on the headers.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
          I raised the idle to 3000 rpm's with the idle screw. The #4 pipe stayed cool. Set idle back to normal.

I raised the rpm's with the choke to 3000 and #4 got hot.
          That means the pilot jets are clogged or incorrectly sized.

When you raise idle via thumbscrew, you're opening the butterflies more (changing the vacuum levels). When you raise idle via the choke, you're dumping more fuel into the mix but leaving the vacuum unaffected. As long as spark is consistent, the only answer is the pilot circuits.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just grab the headers...... Do it enough times and I figure I won't need to wear gloves anymore.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              why do you need to be more scientific then water? Hell, I spit on the headers.
              Yeah, but a 350 degree pipe will evaporate your spit just as well as a 650 degree pipe.

sigpic

Comment

But not quite as fast

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    But not quite as fast

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    That is exactly what I was watching for. A hot pipe turns the mist to steam as soon as it hits the pipe. The cooler one, you can actually spray it and watch it slowly evaporate.

Comment

Not exactly scientific, but whatever works for you!

sigpic

Comment

Holy Crap!!!

I finally did it. I told you I wasn't giving up until I got #4 to fire. FINALLY! I tore the bike down to the frame, checked every electrical connection. In the process, broke the friggin' coil clip that holds in the wires for #1 and #4 cylinder. After panicing and sticker shock for a new coil from the stealership, I fixed the coil wires old school. The old Suzuki coils had a spark plug clip that used to hold the wire in place. Luckily I had an old set of plug wires around from my 72 Charger. Crimped the end on and threaded it back into the coil with some hot glue and it worked. I tore the carbs down and sprayed every hole possible. I pulled the pilot jet out of #3 and #4 and switched them after a through cleaning. Reassembled and #4 is alive and hot! I had to burn my hand a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Now I believe that a little pilot jet can cause much havoc. For everyone that I have pm'd, thank you for your patience.
                        Last edited by Kfreak; 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Congrats dude. Glad to hear it!

sigpic

Comment

congrats

Comment

I guess you can call me a headbanger because of all the times I banged my head off the picnic table trying to get the thing to fire on all 4. Now maybe all of the swelling will subside.

Comment

Nah.. We will still continue calling you Freak, Kat.

Next time, instead of expunding all the extra energy to walk over to the picnic table to hit your head, just grasp the fairings and smash away.

True head banging doesnt require physical contact with anything other than your chin hitting your chest.

If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                                X