A shocking sight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mojoe
    Originally posted by MdL
    edit: After doing more research, you are right. I was wrong.
    now if you had of posted that 2 minutes earlier, I could have spared ya with that long winded explanation....lol

anyway....it was just a fact I knew cuz since I was like 8-9, either my dad or my grandfather were always telling me to go mix some gas for this or that.
    Hey hey hey, no harm done.

We don't want to be giving this nice fella some bad information do we?
    2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Comment

Originally posted by MdL
      Originally posted by MdL
      edit: After doing more research, you are right. I was wrong.
      now if you had of posted that 2 minutes earlier, I could have spared ya with that long winded explanation....lol

anyway....it was just a fact I knew cuz since I was like 8-9, either my dad or my grandfather were always telling me to go mix some gas for this or that.
      Hey hey hey, no harm done.

We don't want to be giving this nice fella some bad information do we?
      no ...bad info is bad for sure.....so at least we were both in agreement on the most important advice....."just change the oil".
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

OK oil changed.
        As I painted it I drained the tank, swished with
        acetone etc..

Course I go to start it this morning and it's all cranky..
        I figure all the messing about maybe I fouled a plug.
        Revs fine after 5K...
        Then it dies.. I look and see a dry line.
        (it's great to have clear fuel lines)
        Flip to prime, then res..
        (the gauge showed above res but maybe I bumped the float) OK fill it up.. Still won't run on ON or RES..
        WTF..
        Runs rough below 4K..
        Then it hits me..
        I pull over, even before I'm stopped completly..
        I hear pfft pffft pffft..
        DOH!!!
        Vacuum line to the fuel switch..
        reconnect it.. Idle gets smooth.. I switch to ON..

I hate when the simple stuff gets you.
        If I had checked the RIGHT side of the bike too I would have seen it right off..

Comment

CP....that is all great advice and all, but is all of that really neccessary?
          Not necessarily, but it will ensure that there are no problems lingering around that didn't get addressed (to avoid wreaking havoc later). Figure your tank has some storage area lower than the petcock (at least ours do), so if you get water out of the petcock, there's more water down below.

There are products out there designed to remove water from gas, depending on how much of course
          The problem with those products and our bikes is that the bikes have unsealed gas tanks -- the dry-gas additive chemicals (usually mostly alcohol) that are designed to buffer out the water through the combustion cycle will suck water from the humid air into the gas anywhere where the ambient humidity rate is high (definitely in my area, quite probably in BlackPeter's as well). Thus, it works well only if you can burn through the tank's fuel in a single day -- and even then only if there's a few ounces of water, not a cup or more in the tank. Since the bike was on it's side for quite some time, there's no way for me to gauge how much rain was driven into the tank (since the drain system for the filler neck doesn't work worth diddley-crud with the bike tipped over).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X