X

Bent chain adjuster and loose chain.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent chain adjuster and loose chain.

Last night when leaving the parts store, I was letting off the clutch in first gear and giving it gas, the bike lurched real hard and then rolled smoothly. I got off tO check and the chain had a lot of slack in it and the chain adjuster was bent and it looks like the bolt has been sucked slightly into the swingarm. I am not sure if the chain is bad or there is something wrong with the clutch or tranny. Any insight would be helpful, Thanks.

If the adjuster plate is bent , you should fix that . They're cheap . That WOULD cause problems for sure .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That has happened to several people here.
      Mine have come out of alingment..
      It should be added to your semi-weekly PM..
      You all do have Preventitive Maintenance check lists right??

I'm hoping to solve that problem before it happens by installing the Bandit 600 adjusters.

Comment

Peter, can you snap some pics of the inside (the hidden portion) of the Bandit adjusters before you install them, so I can see if they are really any different? I haven't had any issues yet, but was considering the upgrade anyway (like the fork protector upgrade -- better a bit of extra safe than a bit of ah shite later).

CVG2:
        This happens when two things occur at the same time:
        (A) The axle bolt isn't torqued to spec when you tightened it back down (still a bit too loose) AND
        (B) The adjuster was loosened without taking up the slack (permitting the plate to move). Because of the way the set-up is, I'd expect it happened on the left side, not the right. My guess is also that you over-tighten the chain, then spun the adjuster looser again to compensate -- when you do that, you need to put a lot of force on the wheel (pushing forwards) to pull the whole assembly forward, making sure the plate seats firmly when you do it.

What you need: replace the plate ASAP. Failure to replace it if it's bent is a good way to damage your swingarm and end up needing a new one.
        You may need a new adjuster bolt as well. And if you don't have a torque-wrench, you need one (and if you do have one, use it!).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Call me blind but I can't find a part number for the plate... Anyone know it off hand?
          signature coming soon

The goal in life is not to leave this world with a perfectly intact, unmarred body but to slide sideways into the grave screaming HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

(B) The adjuster was loosened without taking up the slack (permitting the plate to move). Because of the way the set-up is, I'd expect it happened on the left side, not the right. My guess is also that you over-tighten the chain, then spun the adjuster looser again to compensate -- when you do that, you need to put a lot of force on the wheel (pushing forwards) to pull the whole assembly forward, making sure the plate seats firmly when you do it.

I am going to guess this was the candidate for my mistake. Thanks for the help everyone and hopefully I don't screw this up again.

Comment

Call me blind but I can't find a part number for the plate... Anyone know it off hand?

For my bike the guide plate is 61421-20C01.[/quote]

Comment

Cyber,
                My parts are on back order
                But I will take some pics..
                I got from either spedee or jim that the block
                slides into the swing arm tube.
                This would prevent it from slipping..
                I will also take some pics for those who would like to do
                the screw conversion..
                Threaded plates are added inside the swing arm..

Comment

What you need: replace the plate ASAP. Failure to replace it if it's bent is a good way to damage your swingarm and end up needing a new one.
                  You may need a new adjuster bolt as well. And if you don't have a torque-wrench, you need one (and if you do have one, use it!).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet[/quote]
                  This is the plate at the back of the swingarm right? Mine is caved in a little in the middle. I got a new one on order. I think they had Mongo from Blazing Saddles tighten up the axlenut on my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by dgzkatana
                    This is the plate at the back of the swingarm right? Mine is caved in a little in the middle. I got a new one on order. I think they had Mongo from Blazing Saddles tighten up the axlenut on my bike.
                    Yup, that's the plate.
                    Tighten the chain past it's ability to stretch and the plate will cave in under duress. OR more often, leave the assembly loose (not pushing forward again on the wheel as I mention above) and at some point under acceleration the whole assembly slams forward, the wheel rotates and the plate takes the burden, bending itself to a mangled state. If it's really bad, the end of the swingarm gets damaged too, and you're looking at a new swingarm like BraadaJim mentioned.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was just an idiot when mine got messed up. I was adjusting the chain and didn't loosen the axlenut enough. I got the nut about 2 turns loose(after an hour or so of trying) and decided that was enough. But it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X