No announcement yet.
X

Go Buell Go!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned a Harley since 99 and it does not shake, brake down or drip oil. The engineering that took a 1940's platform and made it reliable to todays standards is remarkable. On the other hand I think Eric Buell is trying to make an apple an orange!
    When I'm not riding my bicycle, I'm either on my hot-rod Harley or my new 06 Kat 600.

Comment

I like 'em. There are some good riders racing them in the 200. I wish to hell one would finish in front of a Honda. I will be rooting for them!

Comment

I'm happy to see Buell go racing as I hope it will be a wake up call for them to do something with that motor!

I think that they are such neat bikes...but the Sporster powerplant just doesn't git 'er done!

Anyway, as far as racing, the XBRR will be in the FX class.
        It's been the topic of some debate because all AMA racing classifications are for production bikes available to the public...and there's really no such street bike as the XBRR.
        Now the AMA approved the bike, looking at the XBRR as a highly modified XB12...but this is where it gets tricky...and why some people don't agree that the Buell should be allowed to race.

FX rules state that you can't modify the frame of the production bike. BUT...it doesn't say you can't modify the gas tank.
        Soooo...since Buell uses the frame as the gas tank, they modified the GAS TANK.
        So you might say that the AMA is looking at the Buell as having a big gas tank that just happens to hold the rest of the bikes components together as opposed to having a frame which just so happens to hold the gas inside of it.

Those opposed have also mentioned some issues with air cooled vs. oil cooled engines and the fact that no XBRR's ever hit the street as a production machine. Buell did sell 400 units, but they were all picked up by dealers and never hit the showroom floor.

Regardless, they are 2.5 seconds off the pace at Daytona right now...despite having like 1300 cc's compared to the Japanese 600cc's.

links:
        Buell Introduces $30k FX Race Bike

Is the XBRR legal...?

One man's opinion: Hardley Legal Son

The FX Buell takes to the track.

Boy, they look like a blast to ride, though.

[/url]
        You got it.
        Get on it.

www.georgiasportbike.com

Comment

Originally posted by Reece
          FX rules state that you can't modify the frame of the production bike. BUT...it doesn't say you can't modify the gas tank.
          Soooo...since Buell uses the frame as the gas tank, they modified the GAS TANK.
          So you might say that the AMA is looking at the Buell as having a big gas tank that just happens to hold the rest of the bikes components together as opposed to having a frame which just so happens to hold the gas inside of it.

That is classic !!!
          after all the rules are there for geting around!!

Comment

From what i understand,The buell's will be raceing in the same class as the 600's
            97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Originally posted by katana_j
              From what i understand,The buell's will be raceing in the same class as the 600's
              Yeah, the FX class is supposed to be for ("run whatcha brung") modified 600cc inline 4's...but there are major displacement advantages given to the type of engine that's in the Buell. (basically as big as you want)

Three seconds behind the pace yesterday. Not bad for an engine with twice the size!
              You got it.
              Get on it.

www.georgiasportbike.com

Comment

Working...
              X