• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor potential problem - Please HELP

H All,

I own a 92 GSX 1100f - been having an issue in which the engine seems to :

1. Backfire
    2. Lose HP as if one of the cylinders is not working (sounds like a sewing machine )
    3. I can smell gasoline - as if its not burning alll the fuel

All of this happen randomly....I did once change the spark plugs and it solved the problem for 3 months (They did seem to be "Wet")

It is also important to mention that the fuel tank is old and rusty - but i have not seen any rust particles in the fuel.

I ordered a carb rebuild kit and bought sliders+ Diaphragm separately - I'm assuming this ia probably a needle/diaphragm rubber hole issue?

Is there a way to buy a REPLACEMENT NEW aftermarket whole carburetor kit?

JB in japan seems to have kits including FCR based for the 1100S katana :
    Product Description: JB POWER (BITO R&D) FCR Carburetor [304A37-345] : Fits:SUZUKI GSX1100S KATANA (KATANA) :Standard Specifications... - Webike

Any other options available such as a GSXR1100 carb porting or a Bandit1200 carb system?

Could the issue be with the rubber "boots" manifold/engine head?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

I would seal the gas tank, replace the intake manifolds, #1 intake manifold is no longer available. Rebuild and clean the carbs, the float needles are probably bad. Make sure your fuel shut offs is working properly, check your spark plug wires, ...
    1990 katana 1100

Comment

Sounds like rust clogging up the carb. It will starve fuel to the point where the bike pops, farts, and has idle issues.
      Take a bowl off a carb and you should find a little rust. If that doesn't convince, remove each pilot jet and clean,shouldn't take more than 30 min.
      Bike should then run great, for like a few miles, then things will clog up again with rust.
      My tank was not very rusty when this happened.

Comment

This stuff is supposed to seal your carb intake leaks.
        Eldelbrock Gasgacinch...comes recommended by Harley Davidson.

My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Dang, i was all ready to bag on it and say that permatex was the same but the gasgiscinch lol is like two bucks cheaper... im sold [QUOTE=katanarider;2376634]This stuff is supposed to seal your carb intake leaks.
          Eldelbrock Gasgacinch...comes recommended by Harley Davidson. QUOTE]
          Also this sounds like dirty foat needles, clean the needles.and the seats with 000 steel wool, also clean the petcock o ring and seat

When does it back fire? Randomly? On decel, on accel? On decel its fuel starvation, randomly its bad gas most times. Also if its a cheap ebay jet kit alot of times the jets and needles are way lean or rich. Ive had this happen to me just ordering jets and having to drill them to actual tolerances. Also do all of your pipes get warm?
          Last edited by Mrontime; 07-20-2017, 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
            Dang, i was all ready to bag on it and say that permatex was the same but the gasgiscinch lol is like two bucks cheaper... im sold
            Careful with the Permatex. I've read that silicone is not gasoline resistant, so read the label.
            Gasgacinch is not silicone !
            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

There are different colors of permatex to denote what its resistant to. There is a grey permatex that is gasoline resistan, and the super black is too i believe. But both cost a few bucks more than that one.
              We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Working...
              X