X

Noob Chopping the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Chopping the Kat

Hola all... Been creepin in the bushes for a while around here n figured I'd finally post why I joined in the first place...

2yrs ago, I bought my donor for a great low price of $150...
    A 96 750...

"it's a streetfighter" the rather large former owner said.

One quick look at the bike told me someone had laid it down hard on the left side into what I can only imagine was a pit with a combination of gravel, concrete, and lumber and a very angry person wielding a large hammer to finish the job.

But I didnt care, the block had solid compression, the transmission is as good as a 20yr old sport bike could be, and having no plastics just meant I had less parts to remove.

After beating the living hell out of this monstrosity for the last 2 summers, my key finally snapped off in the fuel tank. My first thought? TIME TO HACK IT APART!

So, I have the frame components nearly ready, ordered the various rebuild and seal kits, and once the freezing temps have left Wisconsin, I will proceed further... here's my initial pics (all taken since friday last week, 3/17) of mocking up the frame to finalize my measurements prior to welding. I'm at step one right now, and plan to keep using this post to keep current status throughout the build...

That all being said, feel free to give actual constructive input... I've been wrenching over 20 years as a hobbiest who refuses to pay anyone for mechnical repairs, am currently employed as a mechanical engineer after getting lost for 12 years on my way to college, and have been riding since my first CM250C at 8 yrs old... I know what I'm doing, but am always up for productive ideas and constructive criticism.

Thanks all!

Since im a noob, pics might not link into the thread, heres the urls:
    Image Tank Across Heads in Katana Chop album

Image 20170321 191607 in Katana Chop album

Image Frame Mockup in Katana Chop album

Image 20170317 175416 in Katana Chop album

Image 20170317 171904 in Katana Chop album

Image Tank across heads and Modified Cold Air Concept in Katana Chop album

Subscribed...not a fan of shit fighters but, I gotta see how this turns out...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Subscribed...not a fan of shit fighters but, I gotta see how this turns out...
      Me neither, but it's a cheap n solid power plant. I like the pop of imports, but the relaxed feel of cruisers... So, I'm putting the 2 together... We'll see what comes of it...

Comment

Update...

Posted more pics tonight... Downside of a 100% full on DIY build... Tons of items on the check list. Each one takes time... Order materials, and while waiting for them to show up, work on another part...

So far I have a majority of the core frame materials cut and prepped waiting for welding. Since Im doing this whole thing pretty much on the fly, it's basically knock out a concept at lunch, spend a few hours that night trying to get the concept built, critique it, if pass... Move on. If fail... Redo...

I have the air tanks cut as well as the horizontal span support that will attach them to the spine, but until I get the frame mocked more realistically, I wont know 100% on the dims. So I use what I have, mock it up, take measurements, tear it down n put it away (kinda), make more parts, repeat... Ugh, what the hell did I get myself into?

Air bag front suspension with girder style springer fork (decided against standard springer) and bagged seat planned...

Bags and control valves ordered

Making hidden/leverless controls with microswitch buttons. Combination of mechanical and electronic for the controls.
        PCB Button key:
        "Vroom" start
        "SU" seat up
        "FU" fork up
        "Honk" horn
        "SD" seat down
        "FD" fork down
        "LD"&"RD" left and right directional

1/4"micro toggle for master on off hidden somewhere at some point... Velocio Ace PLC will process everything electronic combined with relays for higher powered items(ordered).

Next?
        Finish neck assembly once bags come in to make it look decent when assembled
        etch PCB and solder controls, figure out button housing
        Make leverless controls
        Start wire loom
        Start Build on 3'w x 3'd x 8't Powdercoat Oven

Here's the link to the pic album:

Comment

update:

frame nearly complete... final dims taken and motor mounts made. Neck assembly going to be ground and shaped this week, weld everything up by next week...

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Damn. You got skills.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

This is not your average Kat...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

keep on keepin on

thanks guys... feeling the effects of 90hrs per week between my job n the build... need more coffee...

more small things were accomplished this week. more pics, just of the forks for now. i had no clue what i was going to do for the framing to support the forks and catch the top airbag, then it hit me. so the 4 new pics are just showing that lightbulb after 30min of work...

didnt get the rest of the frame welded up yet as i had hoped. spent the week building my new oven for powdercoating... instead of paying someone else to paint the bike, it turns out that it's more cost effective to build my own powdercoating setup... i'll post pics of it once it's complete

Last edited by SourOrgy; 05-01-2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

90 hours? dude, take a trout fishing break or something...

Comment

busy season... got some vacation time coming soon (woo hoo )

till then...

got the rough shape grinding done tonight on the front forks...

front airbag came in last thursday, mounts made friday

front brake mounts are made, need to be welded on

top of the tree is roughed in, handlebar mounts will be welded on this week, bars fitted to that right after

finishing up button PCB and housing design, hope to have completed by next weekend.

if i can keep this pace going, I might be able to get out this year yet!

also, started my LLC and registered with the SAE as a motorcycle manufacturer... so i will have a legit 14 digit VIN to register this bike with...

Comment

Damn, you don't fuck around
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Just noticed you are from Wisconsin. Last summer I was playing the last few songs of a Thursday night bar gig on a deck overlooking the San Juan River and a lady came out of the bar and asked if I played at short notice. I told her of course, and she said she was getting married Saturday afternoon on the river and asked could I play for it. I told her as long as there was shade, I'd love to play for it.

Her fiance brought me a $100 bill and said they trusted me to be there, and I told him trust was no concern. I showed up an hour early Saturday, set up, and began playing by 1 and didn't even take a break by the time I quit around 6. My point is that I had never met anyone from Wisconsin before, but there were 40 or more people who had driven down to Colorado from there along with seven or eight who rode bikes down for the wedding, and they gave me about $75 in tips.

The main thing I want to express is that they were the nicest people I have ever met. I asked the bride from my place behind the mic if I were doing what she expected, and she made the heart sign with her hands above her head and said, "Everyone loves you!" Groovy. Welcome to KR! Wisconsin breeds noble, noble creatures. I am following your progress with the bike and I am astounded. God bless Wisconsin.

Comment

thanks zuma... that's how it is here. work hard, play hard, dont be a dick cuz we're all in this together. I've lived all over the country and still happy to be home. learned a ton on my travels, but it just isnt the same anywhere.

that mentality combined with me being a glutton for punishment is why i'm practically working this build like a full time gig... plus, honestly, i'm trying to get my 2nd biz off the ground and i have a bit riding on this build... besides wanting to get out on 2 wheels at least once this year.

if you ever make it up this way, i strongly suggest hitting door county and follow lake michigan up through the U.P. of MI... you will not be disappointed... beautiful scenery, more bars than churches, and a ton of people willing to laugh with you after a hard day of work.

Comment

I believe that. I became a Packers fan that day. Funny how one day can change things. After living in these mountains like we have for the past five years, I rarely want to go anywhere else though we go to Seattle a few times per year. Wisconsin may be a future destination, but I belong on the Blanco River in this lifetime, but am cheered that our country has people like those I met at the wedding from Wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                              X