X

How much would this cost?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would this cost?

Ok.. I have a '93 Kat 750 that I am looking to sell. However, I was just wondering a ballpark figure that it would cost to get a few things done. It needs a new fork seal and probably fork oil for that matter. Could use new headers since theres a dent in the bottom but im not too worried about that. Could use a new chain and rear tire as well.... and probably needs to be serviced.. its got 20k miles.. I got it from a friend who got it from some hippy guy that moved so service is unknown on it. Probably needs new plugs and maybe wires.

How much do you think a stealership would charge for fork seal, chain and tire and a general tune up service?

Trying to figure out what I should sell the bike for.... I can post pics if it would help.

a lot. Dealer near me charges $400ish just for a tune up.

Comment

Do alot of that yourself you can get it done for <$300 and your own man hours...

Fork seals and oil takes an hour or two, maybe $30. New plugs takes 15 min and whatever plugs cost nowadays. Chain
      ~$100 with sprockets ~45 min. Not sure what wires cost. Tire is more tricky, but you can do it yourself if you get some spoons and wrestle with it...

Dealership cost?

I can't remember the cost of a mechanic hour anymore, but its probably a good $50 or so...

Forks: 3 hours
      Tire: 2 hours
      Chain: 1 hour
      Plugs/Wires: 1 hour

Not sure what a tune up would cost but if the 400 above is accurate you are looking at $750 before cost of tire, chain, plugs, seals, and fork oil....

What's your time worth?
      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
      -Robert Morrison

"
      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Well.. I plan on getting a newer bike so I am just looking to sell this. Want to give the buyer a heads up on what will need to be done for the bike to be as close to 100% as possible. Can't be bothered on doing all that work or spending the money on this old of a bike.... prob sell it for around 1200/obo. Maybe i'll pull the plugs and see what they look like, im just soo damn lazy anymore.

Comment

Does it run? I know with a bike that age it can be make or break depending on whether it runs or not...

Know that these bikes are going for 2K on the high end for a really nice specimen... Some of these repairs that are cheap/easy/quick could be the difference in a couple hundred bucks easy...

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
          -Robert Morrison

"

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

oh yeah, it runs great. Prob won't even need plugs or wires. I ride it still but am getting more and more reluctant to do so as the days go by. Starts right up on first crank, runs a teensy weensy bit rough until she's warmed up then runs sweet. Sounds like their might be a slight valve tap but don't know if its somethin else like the headers rattling a little bit, I can only hear it at idle, sounds fine when revving.

Comment

My advice is dont do any work, just sell it as it is. You can get a newbie to pay 1500 for it as long as it runs well.. lol... i payed that when I didn't know jack a month or so ago for a 94 600 that was pretty run down. I mean it wasnt the worst deal in the world but I realize now I should have payed a few hundred less.

Comment

well i know around me I got fork seals replaced at a shop and i took the forks in off the bike and was $150 for both, since most shops will do both forks only
                New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

Yeah if it runs you'll probably get what you want for it, you won't get top dollar, but still good start towards a new bike....

Originally posted by cut_cutta View Post
                  My advice is dont do any work, just sell it as it is. You can get a newbie to pay 1500 for it as long as it runs well.. lol... i payed that when I didn't know jack a month or so ago for a 94 600 that was pretty run down. I mean it wasnt the worst deal in the world but I realize now I should have payed a few hundred less.
                  mmmm... ethics taste like candy....

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

Working...
                  X