X

How many tie downs is too many...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many tie downs is too many...

I got the 411 from a local guy who's not using his motorcycle trailer the week of the gap, and he's gonna let me borrow it to haul the bikes down the Rally next month with Char. He's gotta double check to make sure he isnt racing that weekend ( rides for kawa on the local circuits and actually placed 3rd in an AMA race not too long ago) but assuming he isnt I should get to use it for next to nothing, which is cool. Looks almost identical to this.

Anyways, everytime I trailered/hauled motorcycles its either been on an enclosed trailer, or atleast one with rails and a tailgate on the back, or in the back of a truck so this would be the first venture on this type of trailer. Im think 6 tie downs outta do it but maybe I'll go with 4 on the front and 4 on the back, just to be safe

Just kickstand it. Lol 8 should do the trick though. Maybe overkill but it is worth it.
    Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

I am doing 2 in the front and 2 in the rear and then checking them periodicaly. I have a 4x8 flat trailer with a motorcycle rail on it. Should work fine

Comment

I did 2 in the front and 2 in the rear every other time Ive hauled bikes and its always been fine every time. Just check the straps periodically when you stop for gas and whatnot.

Im thinking I'll use 6 though minimum, just in case. That's all need is for 1 to break and not have a backup on that side and the bikes to start flopping around in an open trailer like that

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
          I did 2 in the front and 2 in the rear every other time Ive hauled bikes and its always been fine every time. Just check the straps periodically when you stop for gas and whatnot.

Im thinking I'll use 6 though minimum, just in case. That's all need is for 1 to break and not have a backup on that side and the bikes to start flopping around in an open trailer like that
          this happened to me when I was bringing my bike home from the place where I bought it. we put a strap on each clip on and one in the rear to stabilize it. so there I am cruisin along happy as can be when I look in the mirror in time to see the bike move one of the straps had broken and she was rolling around in the trailer. luckily she didn't fall. I had another strap and retied it with that one and made it home. jimmie has one of those canyon dancer straps that go on the clip ons. it works really well.

Comment

4 in the front, 2 in the back for long hauls...always.

Comment

I usually run two through the front over the lower triple tree, then two on the subframe near each passenger peg pulling forward, then one or two straps through the rear wheel to keep it inline. Wouldn't happen with a rail but with my 4x8 trailer bouncing around, that rear wheel likes to inch to one side. 8)

BTW that's with the tiller going to trackdays, never actually trailered the kat. Results may vary
              '01 TL1000R

Comment

With a rail-based trailer, I'd go through each wheel and strap it down to the rail under it. That will minimize the pressure you need to put on the rest of the suspension system to hold the bike in place.

You might also try to get a set of these (or fab up something similar in your garage): TyreDown. We used them on Malloc's bike when he trailered from Tampa to Texas and back, and they work superbly!

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was thinking about using one of those last year when we had the trailer from uhaul but the tie downs worked out pretty good. Might have to check into this for this year. Great, one more thing to tell the wife I "need" to have for the bike

Comment

I really like that trailer, any idea what kinda it is, and what they cost?
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Great, one more thing to tell the wife I "need" to have for the bike

That is what I was thinking. I am ordering a canyon dancer though. I hear those are the way to go.

Comment

Gee,
                        I went from Massachusettes to Arizona with two ties!

But hey.. Tie downs are cheap!
                        One thing about too many though..
                        You want to make sure you have tension
                        on all.
                        I would start with 2 first.
                        After all with the trailer you have, the rails
                        prevent side to side motion (unlike a truck bed)
                        The front hoop means you can lock the front wheel with short piece of rope.
                        Now you just need to keep is upright.
                        On a trailer like that your could get away with 2 on the front..
                        Add two to the rear and you're golden IMO

Comment

Originally posted by nitros222
                          Great, one more thing to tell the wife I "need" to have for the bike

That is what I was thinking. I am ordering a canyon dancer though. I hear those are the way to go.
                          I recently got one when I went to georgia a few months ago, they really are the way to go.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Matt are you going to have enough tie downs or do you want me to buy some extra. I am assuming that it will be char's yours and my bike on the back so you will need a lot of tie downs. If you will not have enough let me know and I will pick some up the day before.

Comment

The rear should mostly stay put so long as the front doesn't go anywhere. The trailer I've got is pretty similar, and my plan is to use 4 on the front and two in the rear of each bike.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X