No announcement yet.
X

Do you plug motorcycle tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, Ok...... Due to so many people arguing back and forth about this issue, Corey and I decided to test it. His tire had a hole in the center of the tire (i would never plug on the side). Corey plugged the tire, refilled to pressure, and went for a short ride. Pressure was fine. Continued to ride on it, tested it at high speed, and even had it on for a month or two. Never had a loss of pressure or traction. Then came the burnout test.

Did a burnout on the tire until something failed. You know what. The tire failed first. After the tire was removed from the rim, we looked at the plug, and it was just fine. The plug we used is one of them self do-it job type kits you can get at any automotive store or walmart. THe type that you put the stick of sticky stuff in, twist and pull out.

I am currently riding on a plug as well, and have been "Testing" it to see how it would hold up. (Testing involved twisties, highspeed, and one-wheel testing ) I have had no problems. I am running a perilli diablo strada, 160 size. My hole was in the center of the tire.

So yes, when it comes down to it, you can plug a tire.... But like I said, I would never plug a tire if the hole was on the side area. Only the center.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I have plugged several in the past. Used a do-it-yourself kit. No problems, even over the 130mph mark.

Tire plugs actually melt into the original tire and weld themselves to the rubber. If you follow the instructions and use the adhesive you are not going to "throw a plug". The more the tire heats up, the stronger the bond.

In fact, I have never heard of anyone losing a correctly plugged tire, regardless of car or bike.

I would NOT put a plug within 1/2 " of the sidewall because the flex could break the bond and cause pressure loss.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, sure a new tire is "better" but may not be realistic from a financial perspective.

Carl-
      "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
        I have a plugged tire on my Kat right now. I have also had many in the past. Do what ya gotta do.
        Ditto...

have plugged tires many times....cars and bike....never had one fail.
        I can also tell you from experience, your rear tire will not "blow". It might deflate, but that's about it. And it will be noticable before it is actually flat. I had one deflate at over 100mph (via a small patch of canvas showing...not from plug failure), and even though it was a bit hard on the nerves, it did not cause me to lose control. Just stay calm and ride it out if you can.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I cant say I actually had a rear tire blow on me, however I can atest via real world experience that a front tire can "blow" , as it happened to me way back when on my Rebel 450 not too long after I first starting riding on the street. Heading down the highway at about 70 mph, a big POP and next thing I know Im rounding a corner and I cant turn or do much of anything but ride it off into the grass median. It wasnt an old tire, I had just gotten the bike maybe a year previously with new tires but on by the dealer. Not an excessively hot day either. After inspection we saw a nice sized hole in what was left of the tire by then.

I'll never forget that day, it was my first wreck on the street.

Comment

Working...
          X