No announcement yet.
X

Noob Chopping the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last couple weeks have been a bit slower...

Built an English Wheel... i figured, for the price of pre-made fenders ($200 minimum each) and the price of an english wheel to make them ($350+)... id save myself the $400 either way... and for $4 worth of bolts i now have the means to make my own!

Built a utility trailer. 8'W x 13'L. between friends and family moving (and hopefully myself soon) and moving around the bike (from the main shop, to my garage, to a friend's shop, etc) it just made sense. also with loading my frame jig by myself into and out of my pickup, the lower deck height will hopefully be a back saver.

I re-did the tree assembly. didnt like how it looked, so i made it more streamlined.

grinding is complete and mounts are welded on, and i will be painting the forks soon. ultimately once i get around to testing my PowerCoat oven, i will then PC the forks, but simple paint job will keep rust away for now.

Stainless gas springs will be placed on either side of the air bag to help absorb for the front suspension. this will make the airbag really only operate slightly as a buffer but switch its primary role to be determining my rake angle.

i will be turning the neck tube this week to accept the bearings, then weld it onto the frame.

the motor mounts have been tweaked, will get cut and ground clean then welded on this week...

just got the wire plugs i need to build my wire harness, should be able to take the measurements next weekend and get that built...

still on the hunt for a good deal on stainless plate so i can make the ends of my fuel tank.

One of my customers at my day job gave me a pro design that he came up with for the air intake. hopefully we can remove the issues that usually come up when people try to replace that big ugly air box. mine will be 2 cone filters that sit where the fuel tank used to. the 2 filters will both go to one single chamber (3" x 3" Sq. Tube with strategic baffles) which will have the rubber boots headed to the carbs off of that...

So, still making progress... i will post pics later...
    Last edited by SourOrgy; 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM. Reason: oops

Comment

Wow.... this is cool. Was it arlen ness that tried that single frame tube to neck design and had problems... how do you plan on mitagating frame twist? Just curious... your fab skills are badass dude.
      We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
        Wow.... this is cool. Was it arlen ness that tried that single frame tube to neck design and had problems... how do you plan on mitagating frame twist? Just curious... your fab skills are badass dude.
        thanks!

been slacking a bit... found out lil one #3 is on the way. the last month has been nothing but tying up loose ends.

as for your question... it will look like a single tube, but i plan on putting in a set of bolt on highway bars (removable for motor removal) that will reinforce the frame while looking like it is only for appearance *hopefully*. i have been modding and tweaking this frame for the last couple weeks and finally put some finishing touches into it and welded on the rear motor mounts last night.

time to start on electrical!

once i get my pneumatics setup on a test circuit i can post a better frame pic. for now i have the final frame parts (2 of the pics) which need to be welded on made but need to be able to operate the airbag in order to determine mounting height and OAL.

Image 20170810 173727 in Katana Chop album

Image 20170810 173746 in Katana Chop album

Image 20170813 153622 in Katana Chop album
        Last edited by SourOrgy; 08-15-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

good luck on your build. you won't see yourself riding down the road that's for sure. Unique.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
          X