X

stock sprocket size/chain size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock sprocket size/chain size

I just tried putting a new chain on my bike and it wont fit first problem is its a 520 and i need a 530 i think? I searched and cant find a straight answer what are the stock sprocket sizes for my 1996 600 kat- it has a 13/47 setup on it right now is that right? Thanks

god no, stock is 14/45 gearing, 112 link chain, and yes it's 530.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      god no, stock is 14/45 gearing, 112 link chain, and yes it's 530.
      14/45- so what is this going to do to my bike as it is right now- wheres a good place to get the sprockets online and what brand?- thanks for the help
      its not 14/46 stock?- i was reading a post on here that said 14/46 stock?

Comment

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

no it's 14/46 up through 91 92-97 are 45.

Comment

Stock setup for Pre is 14/45 with a 530 118 link chain. By changing it to 13/47 you gain more power on the low end and reduce the top end. Since the theoretical max of a stock Pre is 121mph you end up reducing the top end to about 118mph (and it takes a little longer to get there) but you gain a quicker take off from the line.

The gearing choice is strictly personal. Mine is stock 14/45 and I am in the middle of a 14/47 sprocket swap with a 530 120link chain. I'm upping the rear sprocket because in all reality I don't race and therefore I don't worry about my top end because I shouldn't be much over the speed limit to begin with.

Comment

bull **** it is, "pre" 600 has two, 88-91 is 46, 92-97 is 45 And no way in hell is it 118. 118 is stock on 98+ 600's and that 15/47 and the swing arm is 1 1/2" longer. You're putting a 120 link chain on a pre 600? Good luck with that I'm not trying to come down hard on you, but everything you stated that is incorrect, I have already stated the correct information, so take a minute and read the tread before you post some wrong information the next time.
              Last edited by arsenic; 02-09-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

bull **** it is, "pre" 600 has two, 88-91 is 46, 92-97 is 45 And no way in hell is it 118. 118 is stock on 98+ 600's and that 15/47 and the swing arm is 1 1/2" longer. You're putting a 120 link chain on a pre 600? Good luck with that I'm not trying to come down hard on you, but everything you stated that is incorrect, I have already stated the correct information, so take a minute and read the tread before you post some wrong information the next time.
                im guessing that wasnt for me in the above post- is the stock length 112 links and what size rear sprocket should i put on back to stock? im a new rider so? also ever used jt brand sprockets?

Comment

no that wasn't towards you. Stock is 14/45 112. That's totally stock, depending on what you want, I can give you sizes to go with. I recommend the Vortex/RK combo. It's either an RK or a Regina chain and you can get the sprockets in whatever size you want. www.qualitysmart.com

Vortex Racing Sprockets - Suzuki - GSX600F 92-97 (notice how there is a different choice for 89-91)

JT Sprockets are decent nothing wrong with them, but the stuff from qualitysmart.com is the WHOLE deal.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM.

Comment

no that wasn't towards you. Stock is 14/45 112. That's totally stock, depending on what you want, I can give you sizes to go with. I recommend the Vortex/RK combo. It's either an RK or a Regina chain and you can get the sprockets in whatever size you want. www.qualitysmart.com

Vortex Racing Sprockets - Suzuki - GSX600F 92-97 (notice how there is a different choice for 89-91)
                    since im new to riding i have no idea what i want i cant tell how it rides or anything cause ive never ridden it, should i just get a stock size front sprocket and leave the rear alone, can i change the rear later down the road? the rear is worn a little so i dont want to use it too long but i dont think it would hourt it for a short time, let me know what you think- i will be returning/exchanging the chain in the morning so i wont need one- just sprockets

Comment

uuummm... yes you do, you need to replace the chain and sprockets TOGETHER. Go with a stock set up for now since it's you first season riding 14/45 112 chain

Comment

uuummm... yes you do, you need to replace the chain and sprockets TOGETHER. Go with a stock set up for now since it's you first season riding 14/45 112 chain
                        ok sounds like a good idea is the kat pretty quick off the line with stock gearing- i know its a heavier bike i didnt buy it for racing or anything but im just curious and would one tooth make a difference?

Comment

Dude, just keep it stock for awhile. If you are new to riding like you say, the Kat will be plenty fast for you. Shoot, even a 250 seems fast when you first start out.

The kat will accel just fine with the stock gearing.
                          2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                          BMC Notorious 918 HT
                          2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                            Dude, just keep it stock for awhile. If you are new to riding like you say, the Kat will be plenty fast for you. Shoot, even a 250 seems fast when you first start out.

The kat will accel just fine with the stock gearing.
                            ok just ordered the stock sized sprockets for the kat so hopefully if i can finish my brakes this weekend ill get her out for a test ride

Comment

2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                              BMC Notorious 918 HT
                              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X