No announcement yet.
X

And the chain goes snap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i had a question... i should be able to take the chain down to the dealership and have them cut it down to 119 link and press the master link on... ill just have to take the sprocket off to get it on the bike right?
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

You don't have to remove the sprocket... probably just take the front sprocket cover off.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If you don't want to get the tools to do it yourself, you can install a clip link at home and ride to the dealer and have them install the rivet master. (You can use a dremel at home to cut the chain)

I good shop will not charge you for this, and at worst $5-$10 (probably just cash to the guy that does it).
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
          If you don't want to get the tools to do it yourself, you can install a clip link at home and ride to the dealer and have them install the rivet master. (You can use a dremel at home to cut the chain)

I good shop will not charge you for this, and at worst $5-$10 (probably just cash to the guy that does it).
          thats pretty much what i did... bought a clip style master link for 3.99 and paid them 10 to cut my chain for me... and im going to ride the bike to the other dealership and they are going to put the rivet on for free

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          The only time I trust the clip master link is with safety wire and RTV.
          safety wire and rtv?
          Last edited by Suzukii600; 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
            safety wire and rtv?
            Safety wire around the side plate and clip + RTV over the while assembly. And when you put the clip on, make sure to have the clip opening facing the opposite direction from the chains motion., so if the clip is on the top, the opening should be facing the rear of the bike, if the clip is on the bottom, the opening should face the front of the bike.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              Safety wire around the side plate and clip + RTV over the while assembly. And when you put the clip on, make sure to have the clip opening facing the opposite direction from the chains motion., so if the clip is on the top, the opening should be facing the rear of the bike, if the clip is on the bottom, the opening should face the front of the bike.

ok i understand the concept but only one LOL question what is rtv?
              Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

RTV - Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone of whatever flavor I have sitting on the shelf and open at the time.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

oh got ya thanks... yeah i figured out what it was about 2 mins after i made that last post... my tail light is now out on my bike so i called clear alternatives so see if they would send me another one because a the red wire going to the back of the led board broke off underneath the "hot glue" which is what i called it and they corrected me by saying it was RTV lol.....
                  Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

I think you should start working on your own bike (as should everyone else), get more familiar with it and learn to take care of it and things like this won't happen again...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      I think you should start working on your own bike (as should everyone else), get more familiar with it and learn to take care of it and things like this won't happen again...
                      i do work on my own bike.... but i dont have a job right now so i cant afford the $100 tool that i need to fix the bike ...... here is a pic of where the chain seperated... its another cell phone pick but oh well

Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Chain

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
                        Well i replaced my chain on my bike about 4 months ago with a new RK Racing O ring Chain the chain had about 1k miles on it. i was riding home from a job interview today, i began to accelerate out of a corner. and the chain goes snap, it wraped around the wheel and the back tire locked up and i dang near wrecked since i was just finishing the corner the bike was still tilted to the side when the back locked up.... GERRRRR.........

well i took the chain down to the dealership and the replaced it with a did o ring chain at no extra charge which i was happy about... only problem is the chain they gave me is 140 link so it needs to be cut down, and the master link is the press on type, which i dont have the tool for.... is there a tool that can both cut the chain and press it ... and i know that i need to file it down befor i use the chain break.... but dose anyone know of a tool i can get at a reasonable price?
                        I had that problem on my 1983 GS while riding onthe High way. Fortunately i was just slowing down and getting of the ramp. No damage but had to get a tow ride home.

Comment

Be sure to safety wire that clip on until you can get that rivet link on there.

my advice is ride the bike to the nearest bike shop, with the rivet link and have them rivet the link on. Most decent shops won't charge you for the 5 minutes it takes.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            Are you sure that was a new chain? I'm curious about the red at the edges of the links....
                            From my How to understand Motorcycle Chains, Wear and Maintenance... webpage:

The red color close to the seals on the exterior side-plates is the sealed bearing lubricant normally used to lubricate the rollers. The seals are leaking, so the lubricant leaks out and dries into a red powder (red coloring is common to most chain brands, but not all; it's the clay carrier that is part of the lubricant package).

It means he was running his chain way too tight and/or totally unlubed (for the seals to fail in 1k miles), or was using too aggressive a cleaning brush (such as a steel- or brass-bristled brush) to clean it and the bristles actually tore up the seals, or the rear wheel alignment was quite far off (putting excessive strain on the outside edge).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X