X

And the chain goes snap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the chain goes snap

Well i replaced my chain on my bike about 4 months ago with a new RK Racing O ring Chain the chain had about 1k miles on it. i was riding home from a job interview today, i began to accelerate out of a corner. and the chain goes snap, it wraped around the wheel and the back tire locked up and i dang near wrecked since i was just finishing the corner the bike was still tilted to the side when the back locked up.... GERRRRR.........

well i took the chain down to the dealership and the replaced it with a did o ring chain at no extra charge which i was happy about... only problem is the chain they gave me is 140 link so it needs to be cut down, and the master link is the press on type, which i dont have the tool for.... is there a tool that can both cut the chain and press it ... and i know that i need to file it down befor i use the chain break.... but dose anyone know of a tool i can get at a reasonable price?
    Do The Chicken Dance

Are you sure that was a new chain? I'm curious about the red at the edges of the links....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

so you were running on a chain with a clip on master link the first time? im glad your ok and i hope the new chain hangs around alittle longer. cyber poet sometimes has master link rivet tools for sale here for 40 bucks i think. i got the motion pro tool thats aroud a 100$ if your doing your own chains then a rivet tool is a must. ride safe

Comment

looks really used
        99 Katana 600-Sold
        2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

Comment

just replaced mine with a rk 530, + vortex sprockets 3 months ago. no problems.

hmmmm that chain looks pretty weathered. (old)

Comment

idk what you mean about the red... i took the picture on the side of the road with my 1.3 mp cellphone camera i dont see any, yeah its a new chain and i live just off a dirt road so it has some dirt on it but i kept it well lubed ... it was a brand new chain and sprocket set i bought it jan 16th 09 and didnt start riding on it till about march, and yeah that was a clip on masterlink which is where the chain boke apart at...
            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Glad to hear that you didn't crash because of this.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

The red dust that is on the outer edge of the links suggests the chain is old. Once the o-rings on a chain are compromised, the rollers and pins will begin to rust when the bike is stationary. Then, when you ride, the rust ends up on the outside of the chain stuck to your lubricant. Hence why everyone suspects your chain is old.

I have an RK chain press. Best $100 bucks I have spent on tools for the bike. Spring for the good tools and, provided you take care of them, you will have them forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
                  idk what you mean about the red... i took the picture on the side of the road with my 1.3 mp cellphone camera i dont see any, yeah its a new chain and i live just off a dirt road so it has some dirt on it but i kept it well lubed ... it was a brand new chain and sprocket set i bought it jan 16th 09 and didnt start riding on it till about march, and yeah that was a clip on masterlink which is where the chain boke apart at...
                  if the chain has a redish color to it, thats the sign of a dying chain
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                    if the chain has a redish color to it, thats the sign of a dying chain

well everyone at the dealership parts/mechanics that looked at the chain were completely shocked that the chain broke... its actually in really good shape.... as far as the redish color which i dont see on the chain{but thats ok cause im horribly color blind} the only thing i can think of is the red colorado clay that the dirt around here and the road i ride on every day is composed of?... $100 for the tool... gerr that sucks right now being jobless think im gonna have to drive my 8mpg gas guzzeler for a few weeks... hopefully i can talk a mech at the dealership 2 blocks from my houses to do it for $20 after work? probably not... but im gonna have to try
                    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

I've had good luck with clip links--but I don't use the single clip, I use "E" clips. I've lost one of them a few times, but not both at the same time- with lubing the chain (should be at 600 miles) I look for missing clips---and I've already got over 20k miles on this chain with this setup... to each his/her own. I did this originally to make it easier to clean the chain, but had to press on the backing plate which I have never removed it, I just ran it this way (my dirt bikes always had clip links- didn't think anything different with this bike).

Glad your ok...it could have been nasty
                      Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Yeah , see , I don't trust clips . I had a chain "professionally" installed , and the clip failed , leaving me stranded 50 miles from home . Now I do my own chains , and use rivets .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well two of my bikes has master link clips , the h-2 has ben on for 4 years .... and rz-350 which i just put on two weeks ago , both D.I.D. chains . i saw a thread about saftey wire on the master links ... mmm ..
                          Maybe i better buy rivet master links .. glad you stayed up right

Comment

The only time I trust the clip master link is with safety wire and RTV.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Glad you are ok.. It surprises me that that the dealership was surprised. The chain didn't fail, the clip link did. I know some people have success with them, but hearing that the clip masterlink was thrown off shouldn't surprise anyone. +1 for them for helping out though.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X