Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop

Bodyshop Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
GaryS-NJ
Katrider

Default paint match 1995 kat750 california and removing decal adhesive

I crashed last year and got a replacement fairing and lower cowl need paint to match my 1995 kat 750 OEM paint which is black with blue sparkle. Another Poster was asking about his 1990 with 019 Space Black which has blue sparkle?? But I went to the Colorite site and after putting in year 1995, Suzuki is not in the pull down. An autobody shop guy told me to try Honda Automotive paint code B92P.

Lastly I used a heatgun to remove the fairing decals and have not been able to remove the adhesive residue. I tried Acetone, CRC, degreaser, WD40, gasoline (and a mix of these last two) and let it soak in the mix. The autobody shop told me to get wax and grease remover but somehow I don't think it's going to work.. and lastly, I tried paint gloss remover on an area and that dulled the clearcoat. I'm wondering if I can hand polish that back or if a strait rotary buff will do it (I don't have an oscillating machine,,
'78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
'80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left
GaryS-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS-NJ View Post
I crashed last year and got a replacement fairing and lower cowl need paint to match my 1995 kat 750 OEM paint which is black with blue sparkle. Another Poster was asking about his 1990 with 019 Space Black which has blue sparkle?? But I went to the Colorite site and after putting in year 1995, Suzuki is not in the pull down. An autobody shop guy told me to try Honda Automotive paint code B92P.

Lastly I used a heatgun to remove the fairing decals and have not been able to remove the adhesive residue. I tried Acetone, CRC, degreaser, WD40, gasoline (and a mix of these last two) and let it soak in the mix. The autobody shop told me to get wax and grease remover but somehow I don't think it's going to work.. and lastly, I tried paint gloss remover on an area and that dulled the clearcoat. I'm wondering if I can hand polish that back or if a strait rotary buff will do it (I don't have an oscillating machine,,
Color codes are listed on the OEM fiche.

Look up a main fairing for example on say... bikebandit.com, get the part number... example below.

Suzuki COVER ASSY,COWL Part # 94401-21CE1-19A

The last 3 digits... -19a is the paint code.

you can then search that paint code at colorrite website... 19A came up as ...

https://www.colorrite.com/product/su...s-red-1640.cfm

So... your black is probably code 33j as listed on the OEM parts fiche...

https://www.colorrite.com/product/su...black-1631.cfm

Old adhesive will be hard to remove, nothing will just wipe it off... but options I've used are...

https://www.uscutter.com/Orange-Peel-Adhesive-Remover with a plastic scraper and lots of elbow grease.

Also an option is the 3m adhesive eraser wheel (attaches to a drill, safe for paint if you don't overheat the paint in use).

As for the polishing... yes, it can be done by hand with the right polishes, but it's lots of work. An orbital or other mechanical buffer definitely is worth the expense if you want to keep up with paint.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
GaryS-NJ
Katrider

Default paint code 33J

thanks Krey,

I looked up my fairing and saw the -19A and see color rite shows that as red but my bike is black. I'm guessing Suzuki offered in a few colors. Of course I trust you on the 33J but since you explained how, I went and tried to do it myself. I looked up the cowl (I like partzilla) and saw 6 or 7 lettered versions and clicking on each, I two each of 2 digit suffixes on the cowl (sounds like 12 paint codes but only 5 were valid on colorite and the 33J I confirmed with them is Black with blue metallic. BINGO. thanks again! (but if I don't get that glue off, I may end up shooting the whole bike!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Lighter fluid works, bumper sticker remover works, goop works....
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
GaryS-NJ
Katrider

Default factory decal adhesive stubborn removal.

I haven't tried lighter Fluid yet. I didn't know about bumper Sticker remover nor have I tried Goo Gone but I did try Goof Off Pro (among other things). The toughest on the adhesive (and Clear coat) was the Sander Deglosser liquid intended to take the shine off varnish and gloss paint prior to repainting.. The Brake Cleaner also seemed to dull the clear coat. Oddly enough, after a nice long rain storm, the adhesive looked cloudy and somewhat bubbled and I scraped a little with my finger nail (but this wouldn't work for all of it). After the rain, the cloudiness went away so this stuff is permeable. I read that the adhesive eraser gets too hot for plastic but gonna try that next along with the goo gone. Unfortunately, I beat up the clear coat pretty bad on the tail section now. Is removing the tail section for repaint a straight forward procedure? It wasn't obvious when I looked at replacing the tail light. Might end up painting everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
Lighter fluid works, bumper sticker remover works, goop works....
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop