X

Fork cap swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork cap swap

Getting ready to do a full fork rebuild on my 1992 600. I have new springs, seals, cartridge emulators, the whole shabang. I know going in that those adjuster knobs on the top do little if anything as far as adjustment and that they will be even less functional after installing the emulators. So the point of this post is to inquire about the existence of caps that either replace the stock ones but without the knobs or ones that will adjust the preload on the springs. I did a little searching but found nothing definitive.

Jeff

There were some adjustable caps around. (I have a set) but, TMOD isn't making them anymore. You could PM him and hope he still has a set laying around.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by oldkatsrule View Post
      Getting ready to do a full fork rebuild on my 1992 600. I have new springs, seals, cartridge emulators, the whole shabang. I know going in that those adjuster knobs on the top do little if anything as far as adjustment and that they will be even less functional after installing the emulators. So the point of this post is to inquire about the existence of caps that either replace the stock ones but without the knobs or ones that will adjust the preload on the springs. I did a little searching but found nothing definitive.

Jeff
      Good deal on the springs emulators, you will LOVE them.

We've got 2 members who custom made fork caps with preload adjustment. TMod (Junker, it was your bike, was it TMod or gsxfJim who did those?) And Yoyostien (not sure the spelling of his username, sorry. But he literally last week made them and posted the pics - the thread name is something like "looking forward to next season of motogp) one/both of them might be willing to make and sell you a set.
      Also, not sure if the size is compatible, but the 1100 kat has preload adjusters. Going 100% off memory, my '92 1100 tube cap and '06 600 tube cap looked like they were the same size and thread pitch. So it might be possible to get something oem for that.

Lol and he ^ beats me to the punch again.
      Last edited by shpielers; 05-02-2016, 02:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

TMOD. Ygolocyshp is also making some for his ride.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Looks like I will have to do some investigating. Was hoping one of you was gonna throw out a few models and years that will swap. I am thinking most are swapping the forks out complete and not having to worry about this little detail. I see a few companies making pre load adjustable caps for 41mm conventional forks....of course none list 1992 gsxf600 on their "fits" list. I really don't even have to have adjustable ones. Even a simple cap without the knob would be fine as i really just want to clean up the look since that knob is doing nothing but fading out in the sun.

Comment

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-FORK-CAP...037?nav=SEARCH Got these available....
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

The price on those is appealing.

Comment

And they are for the GSX 41mm forks.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I will probably order a pair from that ebay site. I came across a company called slingshot racing. Nothing listed for the Katana but it seems the sv650 has 41mm forks. Will they fit? I don't know....would seem they should....but at $99.00 and shipping, I'm kinda meh about it. They also look pretty damn close to the ebay ones as far as build.

Comment

I would assume Suzuki 41mm fork tube are all the same but, it's just an assumption
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Well.....we assume no more.....2003-2009 sv650 caps with preload adjusters screw right in after a tiny bit of grinding on the plate the spacer rests against. I didn't want to risk sketchy quality with the cheap china ones and also didn't want to drop a benjamin on the others I found. I found a nice enough used pair on ebay for $50.

Comment

Any chance you have a pic you can post showing what needs grinding?

Thanks for sharing the info!
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

The washer is just ever so slightly too big around to pass by the threads in the tube. I had read this was a problem with some of the other aftermarket cap sets. Was surprised the Suzuki parts didn't just drop in.
                          Last edited by oldkatsrule; 06-05-2016, 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X