X

Fork Oil Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Oil Weight

What is the best weight fork oil for a 93 750? I will be installing 1kg race tech springs and new seals at the same time. 15 is what I'm thinking is that a good choice? Also how much oil goes in each fork? I weigh in at around 215 if that matters. Thanks

15 is good, may be a bit on the thick side. I'm not sure on the amount, I don't have my manual at work.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Really you need the book..
      10 wt is stock.
      491 ml volume
      Then there is the mysterious 97.3mm Oil level number..
      That assures you have the right head space. Too little head space and the compressed air acts like a spring and actually creates a rising spring rate to your fork.

My advice. Use 10wt oil. Try it. Pre 98s have a drain screw at the base of the fork. If you decide you want to try 15wt you can drain the 10wt later. Also on filling I would use the 491 ml as a guide and measure the oil level. It shouldn't be that far off but you want to see what the new spring is like. Then raise/lower the level if you feel you need to.

Comment

do not use 15. I have that in my with the same springs and you hit a bump sounds like the forks want to come apart. I am going back down on my oil weight. I will mroe than likely take mine to 12. Have to mix it to get that weight. I may even go back to 10w.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I use 20w50 in my forks. I weigh 225, and like the extra resistance when riding hard. My bike rarely bottoms out, and makes for a better handler in my opinion. Lighter weight people, or people in colder climates would benefit from a lesser weight oil.

Comment

Originally posted by elkat View Post
            I use 20w50 in my forks.
            You use multi weight in your forks??

Oh I wouldn't do that..

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
            I will more than likely take mine to 12. Have to mix it to get that weight. I may even go back to 10w.
            Can you safely mix oils High? Do you use the same brand?
            What is the guide for mixing 10 and 15 to get 12?

That is cool info.
            Last edited by Black_peter; 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i'm running on 15w oil. And even it is cold here i do not think its to heavy

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                Can you safely mix oils High? Do you use the same brand?
                What is the guide for mixing 10 and 15 to get 12?

That is cool info.
                I saw a write up that CP did... let me see if I can find it... Here it is...

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

Wow.. The infant days of KR.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Wow.. The infant days of KR.
                    Yeah, took some time to find it, and it's not the exact one I was thinking of, but it works.

Comment

I used 10 oil in the forks when I replaced the seals last week.

Here's my impromptu fork oil dipstick.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by wcj; 03-21-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X