X

New Pants

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    Those are, no doubt, _the_ ugliest jeans Iīve ever seen. Why would anyone buy jeans that are remarkably ugly, for $120?

How hard can this be? Wear leather when riding, jeans when not. Do not mix.

Why wear ugly jeans when you can wear nice ones?

Comment

That's what I've been wearing, but based on the consensus around here, they don't seem to popular.

I was actually looking at a pair of these. Any thoughts?

Comment

Jeans provide no real protection from sliding on pavement, even if you're only going 30mph. Invest the $100 - $150 into keeping your legs and all their skin intact with a real pair of armor pants such as Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 http://www.revzilla.com/product/fiel...rcury-20-pants

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
          That's what I've been wearing, but based on the consensus around here, they don't seem to popular.

There's a lot of ignorance around here, it spreads easily.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Get real textile or leather riding pants with CE armor in the knees. Jeans/cargo pants will do nothing for you in any situation over 3 MPH and you will end up with some serious road rash. I just picked up a pair of leather pants at Cycle World with CE armor in the knees for $100. Do it right.

Comment

So buying a pair of Kevlar lined cargo pants with removable CE rated armor in the knees is no good for anything over 3mph. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that.

Comment

So buying a pair of Kevlar lined cargo pants with removable CE rated armor in the knees is no good for anything over 3mph. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that.
                The knees may hold up, but if you slide at all they won't do JACK for you. Just like the Kevlar "reinforced" jeans. They may hold up for 10 feet instead of 5, but they still don't cut it.

Also, for $230 bucks, you can get some nice vented leather for that money that will really protect you if you go down. Or some textile pants that have a removeable liner so you can use them summer AND winter.
                Last edited by 05RedKat600; 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Then I'm assuming that this would be fake if that's the case?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I"]Draggin' Jeans Test Video - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I think I have duly stated the ugly fact.

I will provide you a new factor: Safety

Textile will when heated melt. It will become hot with friction. The amount of energy will determine the heat.

Energy is affected primarily by velocity, friction and time.

Jeans provide the most friction, so you stop faster. However, the friction heat production is way higher than the time-aspect heat production.

That means, you want as little friction as possible, and that the friction should be evenly distributed over your body.

When wearing a leather jacket, with leather gloves the jeans will do more of the braking, and produce more heat. This results is burns. If you were to have the same friction all over your body, witch would be the case with leather, because it has the least friction the heat production would be more evenly distributed, and you would slide with less friction overall, producing even less heat.

This is why you should wear leather.

In addition to that, a pair of right fitting leather pants will keep the padding in the right position, again, causing less burns to your skin, and less trauma.

Comment

Draggin' Jeans Test Video - YouTube
                      Buy what you want then. It's pretty obvious you're stuck on those pants. Why'd you even ask for opinions then?

Leather is the BEST protection out there and for the money you spend on those cargo pants, you can get nice leather. It's your ***, not ours. Next time, post a video NOT created by the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ Doe View Post
                        I think I have duly stated the ugly fact.

I will provide you a new factor: Safety

Textile will when heated melt. It will become hot with friction. The amount of energy will determine the heat.

Energy is affected primarily by velocity, friction and time.

Jeans provide the most friction, so you stop faster. However, the friction heat production is way higher than the time-aspect heat production.

That means, you want as little friction as possible, and that the friction should be evenly distributed over your body.

When wearing a leather jacket, with leather gloves the jeans will do more of the braking, and produce more heat. This results is burns. If you were to have the same friction all over your body, witch would be the case with leather, because it has the least friction the heat production would be more evenly distributed, and you would slide with less friction overall, producing even less heat.

This is why you should wear leather.

In addition to that, a pair of right fitting leather pants will keep the padding in the right position, again, causing less burns to your skin, and less trauma.
                        I think you may be way over thinking it. I don't think even distribution of heat will be of any help if any or all of your body is sliding on pavement at 30 mph. I don't care about the heat nearly as much as I care about the pavement ripping through clothing and skin. Sure it may feel like a burn, but I'm more concerned about the tearing of skin because that is what causes the burning feeling.

Comment

If friction between road and gear < you and gear (solve)= no tearing

Will happend if you wear leather, not sure about jeans...

Dunno about low speed, have never crashed in less than 50 mph...

Comment

There's a lot of ignorance around here, it spreads easily.
                            +1

Getting tired of reading all leather all the time. If thats what you want to do then fine, you've already argued your point, stop trying to shove your as*****... err I mean, opinion in other's faces.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well, since there is always a trade off between comfort / convenience and safety, I went with the Kevlar lined Khakis anyway. I'm not showing up at work wearing leather pants that I have to change out of everyday in the bathroom. The over pants I have now are like ski pants and I might as well wear a clown costume.

They are baggy, don't stay in place and are insanely hot to wear even around the house. I can't see how any other pair of over the jeans textile pants would be any better.

I can't deny that they actually drug that guy around on the ground at 30+mph and it didn't get through the Kevlar. So in the end, I'm going to go with the Kevlar. If I was doing some spirited riding as opposed to my short commute, that might be different.

I looked around before purchasing and I've seen a ton of people saying that the Kevlar lined pants saved them from road rash after going down. I haven't seen anyone that posted where the jeans failed to protect them from road rash. I have seen that they obviously lack any sort of impact protection, but I got a pair of knee pads that you can insert into the pants just to see how they work.

Comment

Well, since there is always a trade off between comfort / convenience and safety, I went with the Kevlar lined Khakis anyway. I'm not showing up at work wearing leather pants that I have to change out of everyday in the bathroom. The over pants I have now are like ski pants and I might as well wear a clown costume.

They are baggy, don't stay in place and are insanely hot to wear even around the house. I can't see how any other pair of over the jeans textile pants would be any better.

I can't deny that they actually drug that guy around on the ground at 30+mph and it didn't get through the Kevlar. So in the end, I'm going to go with the Kevlar. If I was doing some spirited riding as opposed to my short commute, that might be different.

I looked around before purchasing and I've seen a ton of people saying that the Kevlar lined pants saved them from road rash after going down. I haven't seen anyone that posted where the jeans failed to protect them from road rash. I have seen that they obviously lack any sort of impact protection, but I got a pair of knee pads that you can insert into the pants just to see how they work.
                                Itīs a tradeoff really. If you decide to choose ease of use before safety, itīs your decision. Itīs also your *** thatīs going to hurt when you fall.

It hurts just as bad when you are commuting as when you are driving spirited.
                                Last edited by OJ Doe; 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X