No announcement yet.
X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ones a beauty too! Especially since it's pushing 40!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Todays contribution

Disassembled the works rear shocks today. Come apart pretty easily, took pic to remember basic order of things. Taped valve assembly together to keep small parts in same way it came out for now.

They take part number M400 shafts and I need to order them as the chrome is pitted on the wear area of the shaft and 130 bucks for seals and shafts will be good price if I can get it back together they function without leaking. Not including cost of paint etc.

Stepson is copter mechanic and he can fill the nitrogen bladder to specs.
      For the price of good original type rear shocks, having works road racing pro piggy back's will be a nice touch on the bike.

I found a pic of these shocks on the add for the seal kit and the first one i from that, the other two were during tear down and clean up. When I get the shafts in I will finish with the restoration of the shocks. Guess I am going with these colors as the blue and white spring colors still carry into today's products. Might do something in black..any ideas appreciated for consideration.
      Attached Files

Comment

Shafts should be in any day. Work has interfered fun again so not much done this week. Found a thumbnail of bike the day I found it.katana as purchased.jpg

Comment

Shafts arrived. Got the detail work finished on parts. Here it is before assembly

shks.jpg

Comment

Purdy pieces. Looking forward what they look like all put together!
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I should have checked the nitrogen bladders, when I went to put the O-rings in the old bladders were toast. On the phone to order some tomorrow. What ever made me think they would be still be good, wishful thinking. Glad I don't need it next week>

Comment

Got all the stuff in and the shocks are finished. Two cars to paint, wife's and my daughter, puts a kink in my motorcycle projects for sure. Squeezed time in anyway. Thought about doing body work since I am all prepped up right now due to the cars I am working on.

Was going to string the harness, carbs and see how she runs next. Haven't decided. Whatever needs done is gonna get it anyway.

Got a good set of period works shocks hanging on it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Got most of paint work done for the women of the family done, and may have some time for the Kat between jobs. Don't know if I had shown pics of tank, it had a bad ding in one side and I am getting down to the bare metal and see where I go from here. Hate to glob that much filler in one side so I may pull it out a good bit more before I get much further.

Great news I found a locksmith who cut me a single blank that opens tank one way, and turn it around and it works ignition. Inside of tank looks fantastic and was not expecting anything that nice looking. Took the pics of tanks on an R1 I am flipping. Guess I didn't have enough posts to put it in classifieds, but I tossed the site a 20 to make me an official member anyway.

Here are pics of both sides of tank, will post outcomes as they come out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good, thanks for the pics. I'll be curious to see how the tank comes out.
                    GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Not finished but I shot a little primer to see where it needed work. Pretty good for first go round if I say so myself.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nothing like watching paint dry, its a pic anyway. I can put it up for now and work on some other body parts before I paint it. Itching to get the wiring harness in and fire this puppy up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The tank looks good, can't wait to see some paint on it.
                          GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Yes, me too. Got work to do on the cowl and then I can prime that and prep everything else for the final paint. I am going to get some high quality stuff to shoot it with too.

But, I got a bunch of restoration on small parts and the mounting of wiring harness and components to get it running. I hate having to baby sit a bunch of parts with a fresh paint job too long before I am ready to put it on the bike. Best place to keep it from getting effe'd up is mount it where it goes.

In sight, in mind and getting there. Have a good one!

Comment

Doing an awesomw job . . keep the pic's coming

Pete
                              yesterays history , tomorrows a mystery , todays a gift

Comment

As rough as the rest, I pulled out the speedometer today and luckily found a drive gear in an ebay misc parts tear down box I got for 20 bucks last year.

I had the instrumentation bulbs and harness plug with the meter in a box from PO. Found a link with info on tear down and assembly that is no doubt already on this site, but here it is anyway. http://www.suzuki-katana.com/pdf/kat...ent-repair.pdf

Was able to make a diagram as to which bulb went where by wire color and info on the site. Going to find a couple 1/8 female spade connectors and solder, rebuild the wiring harness for the speedometer. This is what I am starting with, going to need to fab some needles and maybe get a new face plate. Not sure yet. I did have a seal kit for it in with parts I got so that was a nice surprise.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X