Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is a Suzuki Katana considered a sport bike or is it more of a cruiser?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Suzuki Katana considered a sport bike or is it more of a cruiser?

Is the Suzuki Katana considered a sport bike or a crotch rocket or is it considered to be more of a cruiser bike? Also, what's the difference between a Suzuki Katana and a GSX are they the same thing? How does a GSXR differ?:bunny2

Depends what year you're asking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastianebilly View Post
      Is the Suzuki Katana considered a sport bike or a crotch rocket or is it considered to be more of a cruiser bike? Also, what's the difference between a Suzuki Katana and a GSX are they the same thing? How does a GSXR differ?:bunny2

It's a "Sport Tour" bike.

Sport bikes in general are more aerodynamic (thus the plastic fairings)

Tour bikes are more relaxed in seating position and generally built with longevity/long rides in mind.

GSX refers to the engine type.

GSXF is the official designation for the sport tour generally called Katanas in the US.

GSXR is the official designation for the Super Sport bike.

There are a huge amount of differences now, but back in the day when they were the closest (89-92 models)... the primary diffrences were ...

GSXR used aluminum frames, race oriented adjustable parts, and performance spected engine tuning (cams for example were more aggresively shaped).

GSXF used steel frame, detuned engine for longevity, and did not have as many performance options and adjustments.

Things have changed significantly since as the Katana pretty much stayed very similiar to original design, where as the GSXR has very little but name in common with those years now days.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I once suggested a yearly CP award to be presented at the KR rally.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yes, the 88-06 Suzuki GSXF "Katana" is a "sport touring" bike. BUT... if you notice what forum this is posted in "Vintage Kats". The original "Katana" was the cream of the crop "crotch rocket" of it's time.

Comment

I think it's got decent potential to go either way...
            Add some luggage options (saddlebags etc) an you have a fun touring bike.
            Leave it as is and you have a fun commuter.
            Go a little deeper and do some engine/suspension work an you have quite a fun bike.
            Add my first and third suggestion and you have a lil rocket that gets around! just don't paint it red
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Yes, the 88-06 Suzuki GSXF "Katana" is a "sport touring" bike. BUT... if you notice what forum this is posted in "Vintage Kats". The original "Katana" was the cream of the crop "crotch rocket" of it's time.
              It was the 'big daddy' of it's time. Nothing could touch it so Honda brought out the CB1100R. Suzuki then replied with the Katana 1100 SXZ which was only sold here in South Africa and New Zealand. It re-established Suzuki's rightful place at the top of the heap at the time. It really pissed off the Honda boys here.
              MelWain

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Wainwright View Post
                It was the 'big daddy' of it's time. Nothing could touch it so Honda brought out the CB1100R. Suzuki then replied with the Katana 1100 SXZ which was only sold here in South Africa and New Zealand. It re-established Suzuki's rightful place at the top of the heap at the time. It really pissed off the Honda boys here.
                That is a very interesting piece of information I hadn't read about before. Granted, I am not an expert on Katana's by any stretch of the imagination, but I found that interesting. Thank you.

Comment

well I have a few vintage kats, and there is no way I would call them "sport tourers". especially the 1100 or 1000 models. considering when they hit the market, they are badass kick in the crotch super sport bikes. mind you, I am talking about the early 80's kats.....not the sticker bike kats that came after the fact.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

One of the sweetest- looking 80's Kats I've ever seen is one that was posted by one of our KR members in Aussieland.....South Africa???....NZ???....... and it was fully- faired. I know I have the pic saved somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone knows the bike....post a pic.
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I don't know, Nino...don't remember seeing it. then again, it's hard to keep track in here sometimes....in this section I mean. just this thread alone is half full of misinformation that doesn't even apply. so many experts, but so few that have actually owned a vintage kat, or who owns one now...or who will ever own one.

that's why I don't post in here much. I always have to bite my tongue from saying "get the fuck outta here with your damn 600 and 750 sticker bike information".

Comment

I'm now on a mission to find that pic...... no shit.
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If you guys read the OPs questions again... you might see what I saw. That it was really obvious the guy was asking a question as a newb poster in the wrong forum.

Just a few points...

First and only post so far...

Asks about the bike using the term "crotch rocket". Not really a term used for the vintage kats, or in the time line of the vintage Kats.

but here is really the kicker for me... Asks about the comparison of the GSXR.... Think about that for a moment. The ONLY version of GSXRs has been full fairinged sportbikes, nothing like the classic Kats.

This has been a hoot to read though.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hey Krey...disregard my previous comment, and my apologies. my comments were out of line for this thread. I do however, stand behind my feelings...more like impressions, actually, and much of it based on experience, that there is a lot of "posting in the wrong section", in this section. add that to the fact that when I was dealing parts, I was also dealing with a whole lot of "sticker bike" (don't really know what else to call them) 600 and 750 kat owners who were getting "mixed up" in just what I specialized in, even though I tried to make it as clear as possible. and to be honest, I felt a few could put a little more effort into doing their homework.

I guess what I am trying to say is that when "noobs" decide they have a question to ask, and it is so "simple" that there is a chance he will have more questions to ask, then I guess I would just rather see them ask if anyone has any good links that gives a lot of info on the subject. it's as you "insinuate", Krey...the question doesn't even make sense, at least not for this section and vintage kats. it's these kind of question that trigger my snarky attitude. so, my apologies if I rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              GSX refers to the engine type.

Krey
                              What does the GSX define? Or what would classify an engine as a GSX? Just curious for my own knowledge.
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                              X