X

My '82 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '82 Katana

Time to post some pics of my new (to me) Katana. I've been looking at '86 Gixxers for several months then suddenly thought, why not a 1000 Katana?? I wanted one back when they were new plus I hadn't seen one on the streets where I live for years (while I see at least one 86 gixxer every couple of months). I found this one only about 40 minutes away from me. It had 60k miles but overall it was in fair shape and ran great. Plus the only ones I see for sale are either in Canada or back east on eBay and I like to see/touch what I buy. After three solid months of taking things apart, cleaning, painting a part here and there, refinishing all the aluminum pieces (forks, clip-ons, and forward facing covers were all badly pitted), G&S brake lines, and ceramic coating/painting the headers, new fasteners, here she is.

And if anyone is looking for cool bike parts, give japan.webike.net a looksee. They have super cool parts for the old Kats. They are also the US distributor for Unicorn Japan. Besides parts they sell remanufactured Katanas. Top dog is their GSX 1400S.

Came with the stock exhaust in excellent condition. Previous owner had it for the past 30 years and put on the Kerker exhaust right after he bought the bike. Also included was the original sales invoice (sold new for $3799), owners handbook, and factory shop manual. Original suede seat also included and in good shape (no tears, just a little dirty).

What a beautiful Kat! Congrats!

Comment

Well done and such a good find!! Jealous!! Here's to many many trouble free miles. Enjoy!
      MelWain

Comment

Sharp looking old school Kat.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

That is a beautiful Kat! Thanks for posting pics.
          GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

More pics

I finally figured out what i was doing wrong (why pics weren't showing up in my post).

New pics.

Front end before

After

Tank dent before

After PDR (props to Dents NoMore in So Cal)

Original sales receipt

Stock exhaust

Hours of cleaning, refinishing the aluminum, and new fasteners do wonders

Comment

Your hard work has done wonders.... what did you use to get the forks so shiny? I still have some work to do on mine to get like yours.
              GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

First I had to remove the old clear coat. I used an 3/4 HP 8" grinder/buffer with a very fine 3M Scotch Brite disc to take off the clear and smooth out best I could all the pits in the front of the legs. If you use a machine you have to be very careful or you can easily take off aluminum in a hurry. I could have done it by hand but that would have taken 10x as long for me (and the older I get the lazier I become). Then I used cotton buffing wheels with black polish 1st to remove the fine scratches and bring the shine back. Then I hit it with green polish to really bring out the color. If I wanted a really bright shine I would stop there but I wanted a factory looking satin aluminum finish so I used an ultra fine Scotch Brite pad to go over the surfaces by hand. It brought the shine down but left very fine scratches. Last step was to remove the fine scratches with regular aluminum polish and a cloth by hand.
                For all the engine case covers and carb tops I used my small Harbor Freight media blasting cabinet to remove the clear coats then did the same process as on the forks.

Comment

You have a beautiful bike. Very Well Done.

Comment

I have seen this Katana in person...pictures do not do it justice.
                    Nice bike Larry!
                    79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

That is a nice looking bike, congrats.

Comment

hey guys
                        i have this exact same bike but mine has a single colour seat and the front wheel guard is also single colour. can anyone tell me how old it is?

Comment

Originally posted by mad kat View Post
                          hey guys
                          i have this exact same bike but mine has a single colour seat and the front wheel guard is also single colour. can anyone tell me how old it is?
                          Man, you may get more responses if you post your own little thread. Not to be rude, but there is actually a name for intruding on someone elses topic and its called thread jacking/as in hi-jacking. Anyway, post some pictures as well, we love those
                          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                            Man, you may get more responses if you post your own little thread. Not to be rude, but there is actually a name for intruding on someone elses topic and its called thread jacking/as in hi-jacking. Anyway, post some pictures as well, we love those
                            sorry bout that. im not that internet savy. more comfortable with grease on my hands then my hands on a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by mad kat View Post
                              sorry bout that. im not that internet savy. more comfortable with grease on my hands then my hands on a keyboard.
                              No worries young grass hopper. Here to help I am.
                              You'll need to sign up for a Free Photobucket account to upload pictures. Then click the little Earth icon here in the "Reply" window to paste the link to your photo. Later
                              My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
                              X