No announcement yet.
X

Wider rear wheel question: Found locked thread, have questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got to thinking about this thread again last night and the other thing that bothered me is the look of the rear wheel ( i know it's petty) but the wheel i have on there now is quite round, it doesn't have that sporty shape with the sharp edges on the sidewall. I was told by the PO that it's a 160/70/ZR17 Battleaxe? but i think it's spelled differently.

I think i'll try and find a good price on a set of Pilot Sports. They seems to get a lot of good reviews.
    -Brandon

Comment

When i bought my Kat the previous owner had a 170 on it already. It is time for a new tire so when I take it to get one I will see if the previous owner did any mods or just put the tire on. I being a newbie rider can't tell, but it seem not to rub and looks pretty clear.I have a 2000 750 Kat.this was grest info because I was thinking of going larger. But might kust stay where I am for now.
      Also a friend of mine gave me a stock 150 tire also that is in great shape , thought about putting that one on for time being. The jury is still out on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by tdstroker View Post
        When i bought my Kat the previous owner had a 170 on it already. It is time for a new tire so when I take it to get one I will see if the previous owner did any mods or just put the tire on. I being a newbie rider can't tell, but it seem not to rub and looks pretty clear.I have a 2000 750 Kat.this was grest info because I was thinking of going larger. But might kust stay where I am for now.
        Also a friend of mine gave me a stock 150 tire also that is in great shape , thought about putting that one on for time being. The jury is still out on that one.
        Check the rim size on the back. Chances are they just slapped a 160 on there. The size is stamped in one of the spokes. Stock is 4"x17
        Last edited by phantasm; 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
          Check the rim size on the back. Chances are they just slapped a 160 on there. The size is stamped in one of the spokes. Stock is 4"x17
          He has a post 98, 160mm is fine.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            He has a post 98, 160mm is fine.
            My bad (this is why you dont type and drive) I meant the 170 that is already on there from the po. Yeah post 160 good 2 go
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I heard you can bolt on a GSX-R swingarm to accomidate the 170 tire.

Comment

Don't know about that but you can definitely send your SA off to Kreylyn to get it widened. His standard is wide enough to fit a 5.5" rim which takes a 180/55-17 tire.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by soulless kaos View Post
                  I heard you can bolt on a GSX-R swingarm to accomidate the 170 tire.

I do not know of an alternate swingarm that is a direct bolt in (no mods needed) swap to fit the larger wheel. The majority of the swingarms made for the larger wheels widen too quickly and will hit your subframe. The few that don't do that have significantly different geometry for the linkage and cusion/shock mounting. I've yet to see someone post details on a swingarm swap that didn't include custom machine work, welding/fabrication being done, or major alterations to the rear area of the bike.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                      got any images of what it takes to make it work CinTi?.. what needs to be modified.. that might help get the message across..
                      Last edited by GSXFJim; 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM.
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Whole bunch of pages of what it takes. Click the link in my signature, start at the last page and work your way back
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                          ...start at the last page and work your way back
                          ya mean your not gonna post the info for me so i dont gotta work for it?
                          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                          X