KOTM May 2007 Court93Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #21
92xjunker
Neo-Maxiod-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

You say no spark....that tells me the pulse generator is the problem. Weak spark would be a voltage issue.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #22
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Did you check voltage with a multi meter while testing the bypass?

An electrical fault could be drawing down the power when you engage the starter. A bad connection in the starter for example. A starter in need of rebuild. That would draw down the power even with a good battery or a jump source because it's a massive over draw.

Verify the coils are getting 11v+ before dismissing that as an issue.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #23
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
You say no spark....that tells me the pulse generator is the problem. Weak spark would be a voltage issue.
Yes i did check that the signal generator has correct resistance and also tried another signal generator off of running bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
Did you check voltage with a multi meter while testing the bypass?

An electrical fault could be drawing down the power when you engage the starter. A bad connection in the starter for example. A starter in need of rebuild. That would draw down the power even with a good battery or a jump source because it's a massive over draw.

Verify the coils are getting 11v+ before dismissing that as an issue.

Krey
Yes the voltage remained the same when i did the test direct from the battery and i also used a car boost. So im going to check the starter for voltage drop

Last edited by Blackbandit; 06-27-2017 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #24
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

What do you think about bump starting it?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #25
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbandit View Post
What do you think about bump starting it?
If you can bump start it fine, but not with the starter, then you definitely have a voltage leech issue somewhere, and I'd guess that was the starter system.

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
92xjunker
Neo-Maxiod-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

You changed the ignition box, was it the same part number. Those boxes are not interchangeable you need the same part number.
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
You changed the ignition box, was it the same part number. Those boxes are not interchangeable you need the same part number.
Yes the cdi part number matches up

I have a really good mechanic comming to look at the bike.. ill keep you guys posted if he finds anything

Last edited by Blackbandit; 07-01-2017 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #28
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
Your first post mentioned you already replaced the CDI. Did it not have one, or was it expected to be the issue to start with?

Does the bike have an original OEM ignition switch being used, or has it been modified or tampered with? Many of the newer model bikes require a specific resistor in the switch to trigger the CDI / ICM to trigger firing the coils. Some cheaper china made aftermarket switches for example don't have that, and so you end up with everything appearing to work but the bike won't fire the coils to run. It's a security / anti theft sort of feature.

If that's the case, the aftermarket control module should by pass that feature, or ... put a OEM switch back on it.

No way to test CDI / ICM with out replacing it, not at a reasonably priced option anyways. Most shops no longer have testing equipment, and it's either a lot of $ for one or you need to have a lot of know how with electrical equip to build one. The swap with known good is the most commonly used choice.

Krey
Update*
Found the problem.. it was the ignition switch. I guess those cheap electical switches are not worth buying.. i sure learned a hard lesson about cheaping out on parts. Straight oem from now on!
Thanks for everyones help on this you guys are great!
Happy riding!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics