X

Clutch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch?

Just wanting a little feedback here, im going to be changing my clutch sometime in the near future (almost 20k) so i just wanted to ask opinions on clutch kits...who likes what and why?

"Insert something witty here...."

On my first replacement I went with a Barnett clutch kit with springs. Besides a much stiffer clutch pull because of the springs, I didn't notice a huge difference from an OEM clutch with my style of riding. As a result I went back to OEM for everything, fiber plates, steel plates and springs on my third time around.

While your in there, inspect the clutch basket where the fingers of the disks slide on the basket for wear. If there is significant notching, then the clutch can become more difficult to disengage because the disks will not slide.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I've noticed that my bike is running at higher rpms than usual (maybe 1-2K more) while mantaining the usual speed. Also, I've started to loose clutch fluid.

Is this becaue I need to replace my clutch? How often should the clutch be replaced?

Cheers,

Jucie

Comment

ummm...ok, nobody else wants to comment, c'mon guys, u know u wannaa.....
        "Insert something witty here...."

Comment

Clutch fluid = Engine oil
          So you're losing oil?
          Check your clutch adjustment http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698

I went with a Barnett clutch after putting 20K miles on my stocker. Shifts felt a LOT firmer. Definitely satisfied with the Barnett. I'll be going back with another one after this one wears out. Changing the clutch only took about 30 mins, including resetting the clutch adjustment.
          02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
          90 GSXR 750/1216
          96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
          87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
            Changing the clutch only took about 30 mins.

Clutch replacements are super easy. As longs as you are replacing just the fibers and plates.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
            X