X

Working on a Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a Katana

I was wondering if there is a huge difference in working on a Katana (such as pulling the gas tank, getting to the air filter and spark plugs, pulling the carbs, changing the jet kit, taking off and mounting the tires) compared to working on a GSXR? There is a guy who is talking about showing me how to do all of these things, but he has only worked on GSXRs that I know of.
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages.

They are all just machines....

Everything I work on is different, but in the end, every one works the same way. Fuel and air in, light it up, get it out, make wheel move.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Is the GSXR oil cooled/carb'd or water cooled/fuel injected?
      There's lots of basic maintenance things that will be very similar (brake bleeding, pad/rotor changing, caliper rebuild, basic fork oil/seal change, bearing removal/installation/greasing, chain maintenance, etc. things won't be the exact same, but it will give you a good frame of reference.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Worked with my buddy on his 2000 GSXR SRAD 600 when he bought it - had a few issues we dug into.

My knowledge from working on my Kat, especially when it came to carb work, came quite in handy as opposed to none (when I started working on my Kat.)
        - Purplehaze
        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Is the GSXR oil cooled/carb'd or water cooled/fuel injected?
          There's lots of basic maintenance things that will be very similar (brake bleeding, pad/rotor changing, caliper rebuild, basic fork oil/seal change, bearing removal/installation/greasing, chain maintenance, etc. things won't be the exact same, but it will give you a good frame of reference.
          Hmmm good question. He said he knows how to do the carbs, although he didn't actually say how to do them. I know from having them cleaned twice and it being done the way you guys talk about on the forum what the right way is. I guess I need to ask him "how" exactly he would clean them. Oh, on a side note, I finally had to change my factory chain at just over 18,000 miles! I haven't been on this forum in over a year. I moved to Northern California in August. I'm at Beale AFB now. Close to Yuba City/Sacramento area.
          All the world's a stage,

Comment

Well howdy neighbor!
            I'll be going through that area in 2 weeks
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Cali katriders seem to be growing this year, or people are running away from DC.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Cali katriders seem to be growing this year, or people are running away from DC.
                Running from Ebola now!

Well howdy neighbor!
                I'll be going through that area in 2 weeks
                Where you headed?
                Last edited by Oddy Turner; 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                All the world's a stage,

Comment

Stopping off in Granite Bay to see someone for a few hours, final destination Truckee for a friend's going away festivities.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Stopping off in Granite Bay to see someone for a few hours, final destination Truckee for a friend's going away festivities.
                    Nice we are heading to Reno on Nov 21st - 23rd for a friends wedding.

The guy wrote me on Facebook and told me how he cleaned carbs. "How I've cleaned carbs before is disassemble, label bags to cylinder when taken apart, make sure to remove all rubber seals or gaskets. Spray carb cleaner and scrub with brush, spray excess with carb cleaner and let soak for few minutes, then spray with hose and use compress air to remove any excess water and let air dry, clean other metal parts same as the carbs, then clean seals with soap and water."

I think the time was supposed to be 24 hours on soaking, but besides that how is his take on it? He also said carbs should be cleaned every other oil change, if not every oil change. Is that true?
                    Last edited by Oddy Turner; 10-23-2014, 11:06 PM.
                    All the world's a stage,

Comment

Don't rinse with water, it will cause parts to stick, use canned carb cleaner to remove any residue. That should be far enough. Then blow out the passages.

If you download either manual 101 or 102, nowhere does it mention water. Just sayin
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Don't rinse with water, it will cause parts to stick, use canned carb cleaner to remove any residue. That should be far enough. Then blow out the passages.

If you download either manual 101 or 102, nowhere does it mention water. Just sayin
                        Thanks!
                        All the world's a stage,

Comment

As others have stated, even the difference between a Kat and an r1 is minimal when it comes to generally DIY-able tasks. Oil still flows, air and fuel still go in, exhaust still comes out. Bolts and screws won't be in exactly the same places, but they come off just the same

+1 on that. Anything that leaves a residue can and will seize small parts when it dries. Found that out when a couple drops of parts washer fluid that didn't get blown out locked up my choke overnight after a carb rebuild

Originally posted by Oddy Turner View Post
                          Running from Ebola now!

Where you headed?
                          Bwahaha now that's funny.
                          Last edited by Phantom552; 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X