No announcement yet.
X

Why we ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is to short as it is why spend your life whishing you should have bought that bike and had fun!!! When it is your time to go there is not one thing you can do about it!! I used to worry about it, getting hurt or even killed who would take care of my daughter and put her through college dam sure not her mother!!! So big life insurance policy if something happens her and her stepmother will be taken care of!!! Don't take that the wrong way I am as careful as I can be but we all know it is other people that don't pay attention and get bikers killed! Here is an example my neighbor when I bought my bike said man don't you know those things will get you killed!! The very next day a drunk hits him and kills him!!!! No sh t true story.
    Lance
    2005 Kat 600

Comment

Thanks guys, let him read them, he's all excited about the qoutes he can use.

My first thought was to blow into the school, and then I thought. Ignorance can not be swayed, only through education can someone be enlightened.

Till someone takes the step to see why, then they will never know.

But again thanks for the input. Anyone else that wants to jump in please do, the more the merrier.
      One project done, now on to the next few!!
      Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Riding can be some many things it's hard to describe to someone who doesn't ride.Because like the sayings go "they just won't get it"

Range is right about railing corners, I've ridden down a road at a brisk pace and had that goofy grin. I've also on other days taken that same road at a much slower pace and just cruised enjoying the scenery, smells and the feeling of just gliding through a twisty section.

Riding is a rush, a release, a way to unwind and so many more things.

With winter upon us up here I've started driving the car to work. I'd forgotten how mind numbingly boring it is to drive to work day after day. I use to look forward to the ride in and the ride home. Now in the car it's just the part of the daily grind. The thought of driving to work all year is horrific after riding for the last 3 years during the spring to fall seasons.

Last but not least, the people. You guys, the fellow riders help make motorcycling the fun it is.

One wonders if that teacher lost someone or had a love one badly injured in a bike accident. that along would turn many against the sport.
        Kyle

Comment

What else can possibly put a smile on your face every single time you do it ? Answer: Riding. Whether its going to work, just down the local mini mart, or off for a long road trip riding a bike is something that always make you realize just how much the problems in life can shrink away when you immerse yourself w/ your machine and the road.

Comment

when I bought my bike my parents were worried!! I have rode motorcycles since I was five always dirt started racing when I was ten until twenty five and just recently bought my Kat always wanted one just didn't do it until two months ago and I am thirty six, no regrets when my mother told me how worried she was I said mom do you worry when I am on my boat that does 85 mph on the water and believe me that is fast on water she said no I told her that was just as dangerous!!! I can get on that bike and ride and all my troubles are gone for a while kinda like when I used to race loved it but my bones can't take that anymore so this is the next best thing.
            Lance
            2005 Kat 600

Comment

There is no real way to convey ionto words how I feel about riding a bike as compared to driving a car. I simply prefer to do so. I don't like the feeling of sheltered isolation that being in a car gives you as compared to the wide open feeling of being one with all that surrounds me whereever I may be.....

Why to racers enjoy speed?
              Why does this teacher enjoy teaching?
              Why to musicians play or write music?
              Why does a woodworker spends countless hours on a piece?
              Why does a construction worker get enjoyment whenever a project is completed?

Why?
              Why?
              Why?

So many questions my friends, and only those that choose to partake in that particular "thing" are likely to truly understand.

Here are some points to ponder...... End each statement with "you might be addicted to riding........

If your bathroom reading consists of a US atlas with highlighter marks over all the good routes you read about on forums in the winter

If trudging into a crowded fast food resturaunt in bug-encrusted full gear with a pile of maps under your arm no longer makes you self-concious (and maybe never did!),

If, after tanking up, a stranger asks where you're heading, you answer with the question "today, or ultimately?",

If you plan your vacation around the roads, and not the destination,

If you seriously plan on taking a leisurely ride when the temperature is below 20° F,

If you don't have a specific destination, but still put in a 10 hour backroad ride,

If you can carry on an semi-decipherable sign language conversation with your left hand only, at 150kph, to an person wearing a dark shield AND you both get your message across,

If you ignore chores on any given saturday to go ride,

If you plan your vacations around riding for as long as possible as far away as possible and on the best roads possible, and you are familiar with the refrain "Do you HAVE to take your motorcycle on the trip",

If you go out on your bike to get lunch...200 miles away,

If the owner of a little gas stop 150 miles from your house knows you as "the guy in the bug covered leathers",

The guys at the bike shop two states away think you're a local,

You go through at least 1 tank of gas and THEN stop for breakfast,

If your idea of a comfy pair of slippers is a well broken in pair of Sidi's,

If you suit up and ride to the store without even thinking to just take the car.....

If your SO is surprised when you use the car to go to the store instead of the bike....

If you don't wash your riding gear becaue they may not be dry before you ride again....

If your entire wardrobe consists of a $1000.00 leather riding suit, $200.00 rain gear, $300.00 riding boots, $70.00 riding gloves, $600.00 hat, $200.00 mesh jacket and 2 pair of $29.00 levis, 4 pair of $3.00 skoobby doo ginch and one old pair of stinky runners,

If a Saturday ride takes you across more than one state line,

If you walk into business meetings with helmet hair and raccoon eyes,

If you long ago stopped responding to the "Isn't it cold/aren't you uncomfortable in all that gear" questions with anything more than a big smile,

If storm clouds are gathering as you pull out of your driveway, and the radar shows a mean streak of red along your intended route, and you say to yourself, "Eh. I've ridden in worse," because you have,

When a hobby that involves wildly expensive equipment, all manner of physical discomfort, signficant ongoing expenses and the very real risk of major physical trauma seems like a good time to you,

If you can sleep in the grass at a rest stop with your helmet on and your foot stuck through the spokes of your bike so no one will mess with it,

When you realize you have riden through hurricanes, blizzards, and sub zero temps just because you can.............

When your 7 month old motorcycle has 25,000 miles on it, while your 5 year old car only has 15,000 miles.....................

When you open up your hall closet and realize that you have 7 riding jackets, 4 pairs of riding pants, 3 pairs of riding boots, a full rain suit, a one piece winter suit, and a thermal bib, along with God only knows how many pairs of gloves, and 5 helmets along with at least two shields for each,............................

When you walk out in the morning to go to work and go Eenie, meenie, minie, moe to choose what you are going to take, and NONE of the choices include a 4 wheeled vehicle................

When you take a detour and go 7 hours out of your way JUST because of the story that results from it,.............................

When you throw a dart at an atlass and then look for the closest Hooters and ride there for lunch, even if it takes two days.............

When you go 175 miles out of your way on the route home just so you can see the odometer click over to that next thousand mile reading......

When you send your family ahead on a family vacation so you can ride the bike on a different route and hit the twisties on the way to meet them.........................

If you have a hard time getting to work by 9, but have no problem getting up at 5 am on weekends to meet your riding buddies...

If your ride to work is 33 miles and your ride home is 233,

If you'd rather ride the Cherohala Skyway over Deal's Gap,

If your on a romantic walk by the lake with your wife and she says "Look at the Ducks" and you turn to stare at the road behind you asking "Where, Where ?!?!?",

If your 15 month old hears the word DUCK, starts making engine noises,

You tell the wife you're going out for about an hour and return 500 miles later,
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

My dad rides. I remember, way back when, riding with him. It was the greatest feeling in the world. I owned a convertible for 3 years and my Kat for 5 months. I've had more fun on the Kat in those 5 months than I could have in 30 years in the converitible. Riding is a time to get away. Forget the 9 to 5. Think about 95...miles before I hit my reserve. Riding with a pair of arms around you instead of next to you. Knowing that at any moment, I may hit that point where I go "How much further before I can't feel my a$$ anymore?" and then laughing when I say "Let's find out!"

It's not about danger. Danger is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane or praying a rubber band will keep me from hitting the ground. It's about exhileration. Unbridled joy. Someday, it'll be the laugh as I hear my son start up his first 50cc and laugh cause it feels funny.

I don't expect anyone to get it. At least no one who hasn't ridden. For those people, there is no way they'll ever know what it will feel like. I don't think they ever will. Not unless they try it.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                  If your bathroom reading consists of a US atlas with highlighter marks over all the good routes you read about on forums in the winter
                  -- Or an continental map for another continent with the same highlighter markers. (I am guilty of this)

If you're used to passing through customs at the airport while wearing a riding jacket and carrying your motorcycle helmet, and your travel luggage is packed based on it's ability to fit on any bike you may be able to get your hands on. (I am guilty of this)

If you can't speak the local language in the last 7 countries you were in, but know how to say "fill it up", "where can I find gasoline", "motor oil", "tires" in 34 languages and dialects.

Perhaps the teacher would be more swayed by some movies that try to make the same point, including the currently popular "Long Way Around" or the ever-popular (but dated) "On Any Given Sunday".

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ride because it makes me feel free. It is almost like having your own rocket to ride. Any motorcycle is fast enought for that. Seeing the sights and smells is the best for me. Especially the area of the gap .

Joe
                    sigpic

Comment

I can smell the freach fies at the Mc Donalds as I pass...

OK everybody beat me to this thread..
                      However the teacher needs to be taken out.
                      For sanities sake I'll ask my wife her opinon
                      (she teaches college English)

EDIT

She agrees, a teacher is not to impart personal opinions on papers
                      Take it to the principal (I'm assumeing he is in high school)
                      get the paper graded on it's merits and the teacher repremanded

Comment

I want to thank everyone. Son really got a kick out of the posts, and gave him some really great things to use in his follow-up paper.

Thanks for the help.
                        One project done, now on to the next few!!
                        Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

I ride because it gives me freedom, out in the open air not thinking about all the problems you just left behind. For me it's kind of theraputic and when I put my feet up on the back pegs and lay down on the tank, It's the closest I can get to flying without constraints, come on springtime!
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by meanstrk
                            -- Or an continental map for another continent with the same highlighter markers. (I am guilty of this)
                            What , and ruin a perfectly good map ? That's why I print out smaller portions of the map and write on THOSE . Or better yet , take notes and leave them in the relevent pages .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Micdalen
                              I want to thank everyone. Son really got a kick out of the posts, and gave him some really great things to use in his follow-up paper.

Thanks for the help.
                              Hey Dale, be sure and let us know what his teacher thinks of all the excellent points for his paper.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                                What , and ruin a perfectly good map ? That's why I print out smaller portions of the map and write on THOSE . Or better yet , take notes and leave them in the relevent pages .
                                I used to do that when I lived there. Now that I just go every few years, I buy a new road atlas when I'm headed out or when I'm there instead, since just like in the USA, roads change, new highways (autobahns) get built, etc.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X