X

Save your hearing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save your hearing...

ISLAMABAD: Your hearing may be at risk if you were born to be wild.

In an informal survey of 33 motorcycles, University of Florida audiologists found that nearly half of them produced sounds above 100 decibels when throttled up -- equivalent in intensity to a loud rock concert or a chainsaw.

The survey is part of an ongoing effort to identify recreational activities that may pose a risk to hearing, including noise levels experienced by motorcyclists, the researchers said.

The audiologists noted that the sample was small and not representative of all makes and models and those motorcycles with exhaust systems modified to make them louder. So formal research is needed to measure noise levels under typical riding conditions and to determine whether these early survey findings can be generalized to a larger number of bikes, they added.

Exposure to noise at 100 decibels is safe for only 15 minutes and permanent hearing loss can occur with prolonged exposure to noise levels of 85 decibels or higher, says the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

"Almost all of the motorcycles we tested reached action-level noise, which in the workplace would require ear protection," UF researcher Joy Colle said in a prepared statement.

"The loudest bike we tested measured 119 decibels with the engine revved, and the recommended exposure time at the level is only 11 seconds."

"Potentially, the vast majority of motorcyclists could be exposed to dangerous levels of noise," Colle said.

Motorcycle helmets don’t offer any significant protection against noise. But inexpensive foam earplugs can reduce sound levels by 20 to 25 decibels, Colle said.

A ringing sound in the ears immediately after exposure and muffled hearing are warning signs of noise-induced hearing loss, which is permanent

Just another good reason to always ride with ear plugs. The wind noise in your helmet coupled with the exhaust, especially those w/ full exhausts or aftermarket slip on's too. Ive jammed to alot of rock concerts in my life and that along with riding I can imagine I probably have lost alittle bit of my keeness of hearing..so as Ive gotten older and more experienced, its ear plugs all the time for me.

I find anymore than 15 minutes at highway speeds without earplugs I start to get a headache.
    Kyle

Comment

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

if you think 15 minutes is enough for a headache try 50 miles or more.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

It about half scares me think of how much hearing I could have lost as time goes by had I not wised up and started using ear plugs. Riding is awesome, one of the best things in the world, but it certainly pays to be smart in the long run do the little things to help yourself.

and stopped standing so close to the speakers at concerts

Comment

Linda just had a molded set made at the Long Beach Show....

They had so many kinds......filled the full ear, filled just the cannal, ones with earphones attached....

Comment

And that study ignored the other major source of noise: wind-noise. Even with the quietest motorcycle, wind-noise is a critical issue.

I'm still offering the Ear Plug Assortment for any riders who need them. Whether you buy from me, or go elsewhere, I'd really recommend that you wear ear plugs when riding!

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

At first I did not wear ear plugs, but once I tried them I hate riding without them. I find that at the end of the day I feel a lot less fatigued with I use them.

Comment

I have had the ringing of the ears after a 50+ mile ride and that makes me wonder just what damage I am doing to my ears. I would like to be able to hear my future grandkids yell at me
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                    I have had the ringing of the ears after a 50+ mile ride and that makes me wonder just what damage I am doing to my ears. I would like to be able to hear my future grandkids yell at me
                    I'd like to be able to listen to them yell at you too!

=-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I always wear earplugs because of windnoise. I bought a set of CP's ear plugs and I believe they are totally worth it.
                      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

When I hit the road for the first time, to fill up gas, at 35 MPH the noise level was unbearable. Since then, I have never goten on my bike without ear plugs.

Comment

I started wearing ear plugs in 2001, the only times I ride without them is when I ride to work, it's only a 8 minute ride.
                          I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

WHAT ?!?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU !!! YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP !!!!
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I usually wear them but sometimes I like to ride without them and listen to the exhaust notes.
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X