X

2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt

There was a party at our local Harley Davidson shop today. Bike show, car show, free test rides, a band, food, etc. My Dad put his front engine dragster in the car show, so the wife and I went to check things out. Before I knew it, I was test riding the Firebolt. The test ride guy was gone for the day by the time I was ready, but I knew one of the salesman, and he let me take it out anyway. I wish I could've ridden the 1125, but they didn't have a demo.

The Firebolt makes 20-25 more horses than the Kat, but I couldn't really feel it. Yeah, the front tire would come up 6" or so when I shifted into 2nd, and it would bounce a little when I shifted into 3rd....which I really liked. But that could be because the Firebolt has an almost 6" shorter wheelbase, and it's jacked WAY up in the air. (I couldn't flat foot it comfortably, and I am 5'10") One bad thing is you can't lower the bike.

It's dry weight is 395lbs, so it's a little lighter than the Kat. I felt more comfortable going fast around curves on it than I do my Kat. It felt like I could flick it a little easier. It also seemed a little more natural for me to want to lift my butt off the seat to drag a knee. (Which I didn't even come close to, it just felt like I could)

I really liked the way it sounded at WOT. Man, it sounded like compression, ignition, fuel, and air were having an orgy in the combustion chamber. Sounded like sex. I didn't like the way it sounded and vibrated at idle, though.....kinda rough. I didn't like where the exhaust exited, either....it was blowing right on my left ankle when I'd stop at a redlight. I'd move my foot forward, no big deal, but it didn't feel natural where I had to keep my foot.

It was really smooth going down the interstate, and 90 felt like 70. Only other things I really didn't care for too much was the seat and the footpegs. The seat was kinda hard and uncomfortable, and for being such a tall bike, it felt like the footpegs were too high up, and I was having to curl up into the fetal position to ride it.

It has a HUGE front brake rotor and you could definitely tell the difference. Stopped on a friggin' dime.

You also lean over it like an SS bike, and I felt like my wrists and hands could easily start hurting on even a 50 mile trip. Plus, there's very little windscreen...not a whole lot to duck behind when taking a long trip.

All in all, it was an awesome experience, and it is a really nice bike. From what I've read, these bikes run high-11's, low 12's in the quarter, which is the only thing that would keep me from buying one. It was an awesome ride, but I'd personally want something a little faster. (If I was in the market for a new ride) Definitely a great bike for someone looking to upgrade from the Kat. Just a little more power, a little more flickability, a low RPM range (7100 redline) for cruising, but at the cost of a little comfort.

The shop I was at was selling them for $8500....before TT&L.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JimG4652; 08-22-2009, 07:07 PM. Reason: add price
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Saving for on to buy in the spring! You can get a really nice used one for around $4500, so thats what Im going for. If its tall for the XB9sg is a few inches lower. The 9's have less horse but spin up quicker.

Cant wait for April! There will be one in my garage.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I like it. A little goofy with the fairings, but I'd get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
        The Firebolt makes 20-25 more horses than the Kat, but I couldn't really feel it.
        If you couldn't feel it, then you have done a lot of work on the Kat or the 'Bolt wasn't running right. Now there is a learning curve going from one to the other, with where the power is. My XB feels like it is ready to yank my arms off with a little twist of the throttle, but up in the RPMs it does tend to get a little anemic.

(I couldn't flat foot it comfortably, and I am 5'10") One bad thing is you can't lower the bike.
        Suspension was probably set up for someone heavier. If the suspension was set up correctly, you might be better served by the XB12SCG (it's for short people.)

I didn't like where the exhaust exited, either....it was blowing right on my left ankle when I'd stop at a redlight.
        One word: Boots.

for being such a tall bike, it felt like the footpegs were too high up, and I was having to curl up into the fetal position to ride it.
        That just saves you the money of having to buy rearsets.

All in all, it was an awesome experience, and it is a really nice bike. From what I've read, these bikes run high-11's, low 12's in the quarter, which is the only thing that would keep me from buying one.
        They make horrible drag bikes, the wheelbase is too short, the gearbox is too slow, and it has a flywheel.

Short of the drag thing, if you liked the bike, you owe it to yourself to check out a Lightning Long (XB12Ss). Ergo's are a little more kin to the Kat and the longer wheelbase keeps the front end a little bit more planted. But all the XBs shake like they are having epileptic seizures at idle. With my Uly on the side stand, You can actually sit for hours watching everything bounce around.

There are three things that really sold me on the Buells:
        1. The belt, no chain to adjust or lube.
        2. Hydraulic valve actuators, no more valve adjustments. (Yup, I count my length of ownership based on the number of valve adjustments I haven't had to do... I'm up to three.)
        3. The suspension.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          If you couldn't feel it, then you have done a lot of work on the Kat or the 'Bolt wasn't running right. Now there is a learning curve going from one to the other, with where the power is. My XB feels like it is ready to yank my arms off with a little twist of the throttle, but up in the RPMs it does tend to get a little anemic.

I've done a little work to my Kat...I ran 12.08 in the heat a few weeks ago. Plus when I rode the 'Bolt, I didn't launch hard from a stop like I do my Kat. I'd take off slow, let the clutch all the way out, THEN hammer it, so I guess I wasn't really comparing accurately. I didn't want to take a chance of flipping the bike over.

Suspension was probably set up for someone heavier. If the suspension was set up correctly, you might be better served by the XB12SCG (it's for short people.)

You're probably right

One word: Boots.

Right again.
          That just saves you the money of having to buy rearsets.

Lol, I like the way you think
          They make horrible drag bikes, the wheelbase is too short, the gearbox is too slow, and it has a flywheel.

Short of the drag thing, if you liked the bike, you owe it to yourself to check out a Lightning Long (XB12Ss). Ergo's are a little more kin to the Kat and the longer wheelbase keeps the front end a little bit more planted. But all the XBs shake like they are having epileptic seizures at idle. With my Uly on the side stand, You can actually sit for hours watching everything bounce around.

There are three things that really sold me on the Buells:
          1. The belt, no chain to adjust or lube.
          2. Hydraulic valve actuators, no more valve adjustments. (Yup, I count my length of ownership based on the number of valve adjustments I haven't had to do... I'm up to three.)
          3. The suspension. +1 on all of that
          My reply in red
          02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
          90 GSXR 750/1216
          96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
          87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X