X

radar detectors and garage door openers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radar detectors and garage door openers

Anyone got them installed on their Kats? I've heard of people doing this and would be interested in the door opener for sure and the detector if possible. If you have them, post pics and some directions on how you did the install would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

i had a door opener on mine, just a simple momentary pushbutton switch from Radio Shack wired into the contacts inside the remote. not real hard to do.

Comment

they make a radar detector that goes in the gauge hole where your clock is now. its nifty.

Comment

Somebody planning on doing a little speeding ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Shouldnt be real hard either if u just had a basic opener and used some sturday velcro and mount it up under the upper fairing near the forks..then just a simple reach under and push the button ?

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
            Shouldnt be real hard either if u just had a basic opener and used some sturday velcro and mount it up under the upper fairing near the forks..then just a simple reach under and push the button ?
            this is more what I was thinking. Just wondering the best place to mount it at. As for the detector, I'd just heard of some people rigging them on their bikes and was curious how & how well they worked.
            > Vince <

05 Katana 600
            97 Mustang GT
            95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

I have seen detail plans on how to prewire a garage door opener into the "hi-lo" beam switch. So the only thing that he has to so was flip the headlights to "hi" and right back to "low", and the door would be going up. If you search the web, you will probably come across it. I believe it was done on a kawasaki (sport bike, not a cruiser). The guy has tons of pictures and detail instructions. Good luck

Comment

Here is a thread regarding this. I mounted the clicker in the trunk under the seat. In retrospect, it is probably better to mount it up front to get a better signal sent to the garage. I usually have to be actually in the driveway to get it to open. I think I have some more detailed pics at home. If you need them, shoot me a PM.

Comment

I like the High/Low Idea, that would be so cool.
                  1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                  2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                  Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Originally posted by Getnprops
                    Here is a thread regarding this. I mounted the clicker in the trunk under the seat. In retrospect, it is probably better to mount it up front to get a better signal sent to the garage. I usually have to be actually in the driveway to get it to open. I think I have some more detailed pics at home. If you need them, shoot me a PM.
                    go ahead and post those up cuz I'd curious to see what your setup is..

Comment

I used to ride with a guy who had a radar detector installed on his Interceptor, it saved us twice from speeding tickets.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Sorry, forgot the link in earlier post

This gives some good info on hooking up to the hi/lo switch. Mainly, be careful the higher voltage can actually fry the clicker. There are also before and after pictures of the mounting of the button.

Here are some more pics. Basically I just took the clicker apart and sodered my wires on to it. I had to cut a little notch into the shell to allow the wire to pass through. I put some velcro on the remote and some on the inside of the fender way at the back. Then I ran the wire up tp the front of the bike behind the fairings and zip tied it to the frame. Ran it up to the "pod" on the right hand grip where I used the blank to mount the button. It took a bit of trimming to get the button to go into the blank just right. I soldered the wires onto the switch and closed the pod up.

Like I said in the previous post, it will probably work better if you mount the clicker inside the front fairing somewhere.

If you need any specifics, let me know.

[/img]
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've got a mini keychain remote for mine. Doesn't really blow in the wind too much. I might put velcro on it just to keep it from moving.
                          sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Working...
                          X