X

Who wants to paint my bike? Prices?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to paint my bike? Prices?

Having a hard time finding any place near me to paint my bike. Just want a basic basecoat / clearcoat job, no graphics or stripes, just two colors pretty basic.

All bodywork is in very good shape (except for the broken RH fairing and I'll find a good replacement for that)...

I would rather take my parts and ship them to a fellow Katrider and KNOW I'm getting a good paint job than trying someone here...

I've gotten one quote and he wanted $650.......and I just can't see spending that....

I'll be painting mine in the next 2 weeks. If you werent in VA, I'd shoot it along with mine.

If you're still needing yours done after Im done, we can figure something out.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
      Having a hard time finding any place near me to paint my bike. Just want a basic basecoat / clearcoat job, no graphics or stripes, just two colors pretty basic.

All bodywork is in very good shape (except for the broken RH fairing and I'll find a good replacement for that)...

I would rather take my parts and ship them to a fellow Katrider and KNOW I'm getting a good paint job than trying someone here...

I've gotten one quote and he wanted $650.......and I just can't see spending that....
      650 really isn't a bad price. If your looking for a deal, you may just want to try it yourself. No offense to anyone intended, but if your going to have an amateur paint it for a deal, you may as well do it yourself, otherwise, pay someone what its worth to get it done right. Unfortunately even a good deal won't seem that great if you have to take into consideration the cost of shipping the parts to and from the painter.

good luck.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
        650 really isn't a bad price.
        $650 is decent depending on the paint. I'm about to get my belly pan painted to match the red fairings. It is a candy color, so I'm looking at about $350 just for the belly pan and inner fairings.
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Unfortunately even a good deal won't seem that great if you have to take into consideration the cost of shipping the parts to and from the painter.

good luck.
          That's very true since after the cost of shipping and paint/supplies, you can probably have it done local by a body shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
            $650 is decent depending on the paint. I'm about to get my belly pan painted to match the red fairings. It is a candy color, so I'm looking at about $350 just for the belly pan and inner fairings.

That price is a little excessive in my opinion.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I'm with Chinto on this one. If you have the space to work in.... it might not be a bad idea to do the work yourself.

You can get color-rite paints in rattle cans ready to go... or if you have access to a compressor get an HVLP spray gun and go to town.

Shipping all the fairings will end up costing you around the price of a small compressor and gun anyway...
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That price is a little excessive in my opinion.
                I thought so too. He told me $120 for paint & $45 per hour, 4-5 hours.
                My bike is a Candy Sanoma Red according to Color-rite and requires a few different paints to get the candy color. Its not just a primer then paint job. I can understand it taking a little longer and costing a little more. do those prices sound right?
                myspace
                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

You Can Do It!!
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

I was the same way. I didn't wont to go over $500 base and clear. I went every where no luck. One place said $1100. So I went back to the lowest bidder. At $500. Then I told him I was going to put Flame decals on it. And he no your not. Let me make you a test panel. I came back the day and he had a White pearl Flames on my red with some flip-flop and boom. I Love it. But I got lucky Total cost was $725 for my paint job. $500 for the Base, Clear. $150 for Pearl Flames, and $125 Pen Striping. And the pen stripping was farm out, it was going to be $250 but I told him I was over budget all ready so we spilt the price. But he pick out the color. So I got lucky, cuz he just open this business and he wanted some nice custom work so he cut me a deal plus me working with him on a deadline. I told him wheneva it done its done so there was no pressure or rush but it only took 2 weeks anywayz
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014
                    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                      I thought so too. He told me $120 for paint & $45 per hour, 4-5 hours.
                      My bike is a Candy Sanoma Red according to Color-rite and requires a few different paints to get the candy color. Its not just a primer then paint job. I can understand it taking a little longer and costing a little more. do those prices sound right?
                      I think the labor and time is probably right, but the paint sounds expensive. My guess is that they don't have the color in stock and have to buy it in pint containers (much more than you should need).
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

I agree it will probably be more than I need. and after it is painted, I plan to bring the excess paint home with me if I'm paying for it.
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Yeah that's the thing. I've painted project cars in the past (base coat / clear coat) and they came out great.

I have the compressor....just need the water trap, filter, the gun etc.

Problem is space...my 1.5 car garage is attached and would be a PAIN to setup for dust, exhaust, not to mention keeping it warm enough for the paint.

My spare time is going to be EVEN MORE limited once baseball season kicks off in March (I Coach a travel 12U baseball team)....

A co-worker is going to get a quote from her husband to paint my bike...he just finished a frame off on a guy's truck and it's awesome.

The $650 was me taking him all the pieces, and him prepping / sanding and painting. Dupont products is what he uses....

If I can't get a decent price I'll probably either do spray cans or bite the bullet and do it myself....I just remember wet sanding cars till my fingers felt like they had no skin....and I'm not too thrilled. Plus I would ideally like to have it painted while I'm doing the 750 engine swap.

Thanks for the honest input guys...much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                            I just remember wet sanding cars till my fingers felt like they had no skin.....
                            Did you wear gloves when wet sanding?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Did you wear gloves when wet sanding?
                              Yeah.....I just remember learning the hard way that a better prep and spray job means LESS work AFTER the clear is laid down :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                              X