X

Front Sprocket Recommendations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sprocket Recommendations

Yes I searched and looked at FAQ first and found nothing under sprocket or front sprocket. As many of you may know, I am painting my bike this week. I figured while it is apart I would like to explore a sprocket change. The problem is I do not know the stock amount of teeth. I also am unsure of whether I need to go up or down. I would like to gain low end power and give up a little on the top end. I do not ride much over 100mph anyways so if I lose some it will not matter. The only real thing to keep in mind is that I would still like to keep the cruising rpm to a manageable speed. I like to cruise about 75-80. Let me know any suggestions you guys may have. Thanks.
    Do This to Bike Thieves

go down 1 tooth in the front stock = 15 teeth so go 14 and you'll be fine

Cheap and fast won't be reliable.
    Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
    Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by katanaonmyback View Post
      go down 1 tooth in the front stock = 15 teeth so go 14 and you'll be fine
      Yep, just looked at Ron Ayers on the microfiche and if the picture is correct I counted 15 teeth. Have you done this? How did it change the driveability of the bike? Pros? Cons? Thanks.
      Do This to Bike Thieves

Comment

did it about 2 weeks ago fairly simple did whole thing in 25 min. A lot of torque in frist and second very responsive now ran top speed and no longer going 152 now top is 144

Cheap and fast won't be reliable.
        Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
        Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Comment

for $150 shipped you can get the vortex 520 conversion, comes with front and rear sprockets, and rk xso chain.....you can also get front sprockets from 14-18t and rears from 41-54t

Comment

yeah, and a 520 chain, which is a really bad move. Stay with 530.

Comment

I have a 14/48 setup on my pre750
              Not good for cruising at anything over 65, runs at about 6k rpm's
              but better torque at bottom and mid range.
              I would say go 15/48 less than a 14 front would give you but more than stock.
              stay with the 530
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

When I got my '01 600, it had a 14T front, I have since gone back to the stock size and it just feels so much better. With the lower gearing the speedo was off and at anything resembling higher speed, the revs where just to high to be comfortable for extended periods of time. Before you do it, try driving around in one gear lower than you normally would and see what you think.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Most people take it down 1 in the front and up a couple in the rear, which raises you rpm at normal crusing speed, better torque, lower HP, lower gas mileage.

I will be doin the opposite. Most of my riding is on the interstate, so I plan to go up (16) in the front and down (43 or 44) in the rear.
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

changing the gearing has 0 to do with horse power. I think what he meant is lower top end.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM.

Comment

it will also throw your speedo off some.

Comment

Here's a good explanation of how changing sprockets affects performance.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

it will only throw the speedo off on a 98+, where the speed sensor is at the trans. unlike a pre which has a speed drive on the front wheel

doesn't change hp but does change where it is compared to speed. Most effect with less teeth on front and more teeth on the back is torque.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Is there a front/rear combination that can be used to achieve what I am looking for without throwing the speedo completely out of whack?
                            Last edited by MECHANICALMASON; 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM.
                            Do This to Bike Thieves

Comment

just use a speedo healer there is a how-to I'll link it for you.
                              A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

Working...
                              X