X

am i doing something wrong???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i doing something wrong???

ok today i was riding with a few peeps i just met (see my other post omg great ride tonight) and thats the first time i have really rode hard. and when i was cruzin in third at like 5-6 thousand and droped to second and take off to keep up. the tire would give out a slight blurp!! then just go. any time i tried to keep up and drop a gear in between 7-9 thousand it would do this. its hard keepin up with those ss bikes lol. im new so can anyone help please. thanks in advanced for the replies
    wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Sounds like you're not blipping your downshifts . Read up on that .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

slow down on the clutch noise=traction be careful

Comment

I think the advice you need to hear, considering you are new....is not to try to keep up with the sportbikes.
        I could be wrong, but it is just my opinion that if you have to ask this question, you are not experienced enough to try to keep up with sportbikes on a public road. It was probably a wise choice you bought the kat instead of the Busa. And I mean no offense by this....just stating my opinion.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by md86

what is "blipping your downshifts"? i did the search and found nothing. i ask because im new and i have occasionally heard my tires chirp like his and wanna know what im doin wrong. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by IForgotMyUserName2

what is "blipping your downshifts"? i did the search and found nothing. i ask because im new and i have occasionally heard my tires chirp like his and wanna know what im doin wrong. thanks
            I believe he is talking about giving the throttle a little shot (open/close) while the clutch is in before dropping it a gear. I never do it myself....or very little. I believe it's main purpose it to help with the meshing of the gears. I might be wrong, though.

Anyway, it shouldn't apply here. Matt was referring to deceleration, I believe.
            when you are accelerating, there should be no need to blip the throttle. it should be a very quick "pull-click-release"......and that's it. and once you become quick enough, you can go through 1st to 3rd with the throttle still open a bit....and 3rd to 5th (or 6th), without letting off it all.

If his tires are "blurping" while trying to accelerate to catch his buddies, then he has to be feeling this on his arms. It must push him forward a wee bit, before pulling him back when the acceleration kicks in. that blurping can only come from one thing......compression from deceleration which feeds back to the rear tire. It's hard on everything. Tranny, chain, sprockets....even tires, cause that blurp is wear. It can get hard on the neck after a while too, I imagine, cause you head must bob like one of those bobble heads. And the only way this can happen is if his shifting is out of synch. There is a wee bit of hesitation between releasing the clutch and giving it the throttle. And the only cure for this is to come onto the throttle a little sooner. It basically sounds like he is releasing the clutch to a closed throttle. It is the only thing I can thing of that will make a tire chirp when you are coming onto it. well....there is one other reason. The tire could have spun a bit.....but I don't think the kat has the power to spin a tire from 2nd to 3rd on good traction, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Originally posted by IForgotMyUserName2

I believe he is talking about giving the throttle a little shot (open/close) while the clutch is in before dropping it a gear. I never do it myself....or very little. I believe it's main purpose it to help with the meshing of the gears. I might be wrong, though.
              It's to make sure your tires don't slip when downshifting , especially with higher RPM's and trying to slow down quicker . Here , do yourself a favor ....

Amazon has it . And Barnes & Nobles will USUALLY have it in-store .

Comment

well, I do not have a problem with my tires slipping when I downshift. Do not ask me what I do, because I really have no answer for that. pretty much everything I do on a bike is natural and came after many many years of riding. It is all just reflex now, and to ask what I do would draw a blank on me. Its like, I dont know...it just happens like it happens.

Comment

sounds like he is downshifting to slow and leting the rpms fall there fore quciky slowing down the tire locking it up

Comment

I'd bet he doesn't dump the clutch when downshifting . That also helps smooth things out .

Comment

does it only happen from 3rd to 2nd?

Comment

Working...
                      X