Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

92 katana 750, easiest way to get a wider rear tire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 katana 750, easiest way to get a wider rear tire?

Recently picked up a 92 750, and was wondering the easiest way to swap a larger rear tire than the 150 on it now. Looking for 170-180.
    1992 gsx750f- build in progress

Originally posted by Andrewmartz93 View Post
    Recently picked up a 92 750, and was wondering the easiest way to swap a larger rear tire than the 150 on it now. Looking for 170-180.
    First welcome to KR, search feature works well or wait for kreylin to pop in.

He has done this mod as well as makes custom swing arms to fit the wider tire and here is a link to his build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736 .
    Last edited by dano68; 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM.
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

A post kat wheel is 4.5", will fit up to 170. With the pre 750 swingarm, you should be able to work out the brake arm clearance to squeaze a 170 in. I know a 160 will work.

Modd the existing swingarm wider by cutting/welding for the 180.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks, I can't get the search feature to work on my phone or id have done that. My tires a 150 and doesn't look like there's much room for any more or it would hit the swingarm
        1992 gsx750f- build in progress

Comment

The brake arm will be the issue. You can squeeze a 170 in there with a post wheel.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

What is your reason for a wider tire? If you want more choices and stickier rubber, ok. Otherwise, the 150 is perfectly fine. I have yet to over-tax any of my 150s on my 89 750, in spite of some pretty spirited riding.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleKing View Post
              What is your reason for a wider tire? If you want more choices and stickier rubber, ok. Otherwise, the 150 is perfectly fine. I have yet to over-tax any of my 150s on my 89 750, in spite of some pretty spirited riding.
              Looks.... that's 99% of the time the real reason.

The other 1% had done an engine swap and want something beefier for the added HP...

It doesn't stop with the Kat... I've recently joined a local sportrider facebook group, and I'm not surprised to see that 1 in 10 posts is about putting an oversized tire on their newer SS bikes even...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Looks.... that's 99% of the time the real reason.

The other 1% had done an engine swap and want something beefier for the added HP...

Krey
                I'm part of that 1%

looks at 150hp bandit engine

Post Katana rims are stupid cheap, I bought mine for $30 shipped. redacted You'll also need a post Katana hub spacer.
                Last edited by Tekgnome; 06-16-2017, 01:10 PM.
                Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
                  Post Katana rims are stupid cheap, I bought mine for $30 shipped. You'll also need a post Katana hub spacer.
                  I know I've said it before, (swap the carriers too) and that was based on a thread with a swap someone did and posted pics... but, I've since been able to do some research and other swaps with feedback... I don't think the carrier swap is necessary.

I think the OP who posted the rub issues... had wear issues with the rubber cushions. I've not been able to recreate the issue they posted. The hub spacer is the same pre/post kats. I don't think it's necessary now.

Any counter info to clarify it is?

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I know I've said it before, (swap the carriers too) and that was based on a thread with a swap someone did and posted pics... but, I've since been able to do some research and other swaps with feedback... I don't think the carrier swap is necessary.

I think the OP who posted the rub issues... had wear issues with the rubber cushions. I've not been able to recreate the issue they posted. The hub spacer is the same pre/post kats. I don't think it's necessary now.

Any counter info to clarify it is?

Krey
                    You know, I think I misread with the spacer. I'll be having my post Katana rim swapped in next week I'll know for a fact then
                    The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

You know, I think I misread with the spacer. I'll be having my post Katana rim swapped in next week I'll know for a fact then
                      Sounds great.

The specific issue posted prior was the hub fins rubbing on the inside wall of the wheel. My post wheels (3 diff ones) with each having it's own set of rubbers won't let the carriers anywhere near that, so... I don't know of any other reason it would be an issue.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Sounds great.

The specific issue posted prior was the hub fins rubbing on the inside wall of the wheel. My post wheels (3 diff ones) with each having it's own set of rubbers won't let the carriers anywhere near that, so... I don't know of any other reason it would be an issue.

Krey
                        So the bike shop said that the post 2002 Katana 750 rear wheel bolts right up with only one small problem.

The rotors are different, my pre Kat has 4 bolt rotors and the post Katana has 5 bolt rotors. After sourcing the correct bolts and rotor it was a direct fit with no clearance issues with the 160/60 /zf17

I go to pick it up tomorrow so If anything changes I'll be sure to update it.
                        The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

So the bike shop said that the post 2002 Katana 750 rear wheel bolts right up with only one small problem.

The rotors are different, my pre Kat has 4 bolt rotors and the post Katana has 5 bolt rotors. After sourcing the correct bolts and rotor it was a direct fit with no clearance issues with the 160/60 /zf17

I go to pick it up tomorrow so If anything changes I'll be sure to update it.
                          Yeah, the rotor is a known swap. If using the post kat carrier, you would need to either use the post Kat spacer on the left side or cut the bolts down. Pre kat carrier doesn't have that specific issue.

Definitely check the clearance for the sprocket bolts to swingarm. Personally I think upgrading the left spacer to a post sized spacer isn't a bad idea.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                          X