X

front sprocket on a pre is a 12???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front sprocket on a pre is a 12???

so i was tearing into my bike today and i noticed my front sprocket is a 12 tooth and my rear is a 47? is this bad? please give insight
    J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

er.... 12... you sure about that?

If so... it's WRONG.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      er.... 12... you sure about that?

If so... it's WRONG.
      yes i counted the teeth how bad is this? dont really have the money to replace atm
      originally my back one was 45. i got a 47 from 6kat

Comment

Er, I think that anything less than 14 teeth means the spacing or lack thereof can cause added stress on the chain as it turns over the sprocket.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Er, I think that anything less than 14 teeth means the spacing or lack thereof can cause added stress on the chain as it turns over the sprocket.
          Well great that sucks guess I won't be riding ne time soon cuz I don't have the money to replace. Maybe someone here has one for uber cheap

Comment

A front sprocket can be had for about $15. I think you can scrounge that up if it is the difference between riding and not riding. come on, that is like one tank of fuel

Comment

Stock on a 90 600 was 14/46, I ran a 13/46 for 1 season, and wore the chain out really quick with the tighter radius of the 13 tooth front (also accidentally bought a cheap cheesy chain). IF it comes down to not being able to ride, I'd just keep it well lubed and ride, while saving for a new full chain and sprocket set.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana 600 NJ View Post
                A front sprocket can be had for about $15. I think you can scrounge that up if it is the difference between riding and not riding. come on, that is like one tank of fuel
                Indeed i have been finidng them for pretty cheap. iwas expecting to pay out the *** for one. so with my 47 tooth back sprocket should i go back to stock in the front or down 1 tooth?

Comment

IF the chain is stretched enough that you're running out of adjustment, you might be able to go up 2 teeth, but most likely, 1 tooth will be all you can add without needing to add extra links.
                  John,
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                    IF the chain is stretched enough that you're running out of adjustment, you might be able to go up 2 teeth, but most likely, 1 tooth will be all you can add without needing to add extra links.
                    well the chain i ordered is 120 link and the stock was 118. debating on a 15 tooth or a 16 tooth. what owuld u guys choose if ur back sprocket was a 47 tooth the stock one im assuming it was stock was 45

Comment

Keep the 14t, the bike will be a dog at low rpms if you dont.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

IF the engine is stock, I'd just go with the 14/47. chances are that gearing would give you the best top speed along with good acceleration, since 15 or 16 teeth up front would tend to bog a stock 600 down at high speed.
                        John,
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks guys about to order a 14 tooth now

Comment

Stock on my 600 is 45, my front i haven't counted the teeth yet but have been told by the dealer and other parts dealers it was a 14 for my 93. I ordered my chain a 530x120 o ring, got it today and the basstards sent me a flippin 112. Called them up and biatched them out so i now have to wait yet again for the right one to come.
                            1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 6Kat View Post
                              Stock on my 600 is 45, my front i haven't counted the teeth yet but have been told by the dealer and other parts dealers it was a 14 for my 93. I ordered my chain a 530x120 o ring, got it today and the basstards sent me a flippin 112. Called them up and biatched them out so i now have to wait yet again for the right one to come.
                              dang sorry to hear that 6Kat. dont you hate when they screw up. its lame

Comment

Working...
                              X