Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do i change the oil? and wat kind of tools do i need?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i change the oil? and wat kind of tools do i need?

It's my first time and I have no clue how to oil change and never done that before....

and if My bike's fuel valve was on PRI for more then 5months by previous owner

wat should I do?

do i need to clean the carb? i already put some techron on the gas tank

thx

Well if it the petcock was left on prime immediately change the oil just to make sure that no gas got into the oil. And put the petcock back into the on position (arrow facing down) if you haven't already.

To change the oil take off the lower fairing, which is a total of 10 bolts. You'll want to warm the engine up for a few minutes before changing the oil to help it flow easier and making sure that the bike in on the centerstand (to level it out to get all the oil out) take out the oil drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. Next take off your oil filter on the front of the engine between the exhaust headers and let that drain out. Now just put the drain plug back in, and a new filter (use oil around the O ring on it to make a good seal) that's been filled with oil on and fill the engine with 3.5L of oil. I use Castrol GPS 10w-40

2002 Katana 600
    1999 Ford F150

Comment

it's 3.8L BTW, thats 4 US quarts

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_M
        To change the oil take off the lower fairing, which is a total of 10 bolts. You'll want to warm the engine up for a few minutes before changing the oil to help it flow easier and making sure that the bike in on the centerstand (to level it out to get all the oil out) take out the oil drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. Next take off your oil filter on the front of the engine between the exhaust headers and let that drain out. Now just put the drain plug back in, and a new filter (use oil around the O ring on it to make a good seal) that's been filled with oil on and fill the engine till it's up to the full mark. I use Castrol GPS 10w-40
        +1 (my comment in red). Only thing I do different is that I don't take my lower fairing off, I've never found the need. And have a look at the crush washer. If it's not there, replace, if it's beat up, replace.

Comment

Get a Fumoto before you change that oil!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

What's the Fumoto????

Comment

it's a drain plug with a petcock on it, so you just put the plug in one time, and flip it open to drain the oil, and close it and fill it up.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X