X

Front suspension...How low do I go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension...How low do I go?

I just got finished rebuilding my front suspension!!!!
    When I put it together, I dropped the fork tubes in the triple clamps so there is about a 1/4 inch sticking up above the handle bar riser. I did this to try to quicken the turn in of the bike. I steers much quicker, but feels a little "twitchy".
    I am going to raise them up a bit, but I was wondering what everybody else was running. What is a good setting for this?
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

I went about a 1/4 inch..
    I didn't notice any "twitchiness" but it did
    improve turn in..

This is one of those DIY things.
    If it's twitchy, raise it up a bit until you're happy..

Comment

Measure it in millimeters or 16ths of an inch and keep them even, keep going in halves (i.e - you moved it down a quarter, move it back up an 1/8th, next move 1/16th in one direction or the other, repeat until happy). How far to drop without twitching relates to a host of other factors including how heavy you are and how strong the rear spring still is (since the rear ride-height plays heavily into the steering angle).

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

based on what I've read in this forum, I chose to drop my front end this season too.
        I lowered mine 11mm. (5/16").
        I noticed a dramatic improvement in turning response. I have only been out with it 3 times so far this seaon (about 4hr.s). I've noticed that corners that usually "hang off" a bit for, now seem less intimidating. I've got a couple hundred km.s on my news tires, so I'm still kinda babying it through the corners a bit but as they get broken in it think I'll really like the feel . So far no sign of twitchyness.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! Perhaps the best way to describe the feeling, in NASCAR terminology, is that it is "pushing" or tight, if you will. It turns in extremely easy, maybe too easy! That is why I suspect I may have gone too low.
          I once heard a good ole' boy describe it this way. "tight is when you hit the wall, front end first, loose is when you hit the wall back end first"
          Now if I could just get the damn weather to cooperate out here, I could test the adjustment...
          "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Working...
          X