X

Front suspension 750 vs 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension 750 vs 600

I just rebuilt my rear suspension with a new shock and new linkage bearings, now on to the front forks. I yanked the forks from the 1992 600 because they only have 12K miles vs my 96 which has 64k miles on them. Question im wonder is there a difference in the 750 front forks vs a 600 front forks. If there is can you tell if I have 750 front forks or not on my 96 600, Im pretty sure the rear wheel is from a 750 and the front wheel matches it. So I do not know what all has been swapped over the years.

1992 Katana 600
    1996 Katana 600
    1995 Shadow 600 VLX

I'm almost positive there is not a difference between the 750 and 600 wheels (within the same generations).

but Iirc the 750's forks have more useless knobs to turn than the 600. either way springs and some valving are what most suggest for making the stock noodles better.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

The inner tube on a 750 are 11mm longer.
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
        The inner tube on a 750 are 11mm longer.

For the pre kats, 89-97 ... that is one of the primary differences (750 pre tubes are 11mm longer). Lowers are the same. I've not confirmed if there is a differnce in tube length for the post kats. The pre and post forks are different internally and externally, so that would be easier to see a difference if you had swapped those. Pretty sure the caliper bolt holes do not match up between them. There is a minor difference in some of the damping rods for the pre kats, but all can be used interchangably... and don't really work very well anyways for either, so. There might be a difference in the spring rating, but I don't know for sure on that. Maybe Tmod and comment if there is.

There would be no visual way to tell between 600 and 750 with them mounted on the bike if the parts are from those year ranges. You can measure and compare with all the weight off the front end, and that might give you a clue... but ultimately, measuring the actual upper tube length is needed.

Your rear wheel your calling a "750" wheel... isn't specific to a 750. It looks like a post kat wheel (98-2006 600cc or 750cc) due to the straight spokes and I'm gonna assume it's probably a 4.5" rim. It's a common swap to put the post wheels on the pre kats to get the wider size with minimal modifications to make it work.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

OK thanks for the info. Both front and rear wheels look identical (except for the width) They also share the same spoke design as the 92 600 but the rear wheel on the 96 is quite a bit wider. Reason I was wonder if they possibly swapped both front and rear wheels from something else and I thought that I read on here that the 750 had a wider rear. I will get to rebuilding the forks and swap them soon. The ones on it are bottoming out easily and the lower tubes are painted red, which i dont like
          1992 Katana 600
          1996 Katana 600
          1995 Shadow 600 VLX

Comment

Originally posted by GreenChevelleSS View Post
            OK thanks for the info. Both front and rear wheels look identical (except for the width) They also share the same spoke design as the 92 600 but the rear wheel on the 96 is quite a bit wider. Reason I was wonder if they possibly swapped both front and rear wheels from something else and I thought that I read on here that the 750 had a wider rear. I will get to rebuilding the forks and swap them soon. The ones on it are bottoming out easily and the lower tubes are painted red, which i dont like

You got some better pics ofthe wheels? One of your pics isn't a clear, but it surely looks like the rear is a straight spoke to me and not a matching pre kat design.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The front wheel has the speedometer cable gears so how could it be a post kat? I'll try and get some more close up pics today
              1992 Katana 600
              1996 Katana 600
              1995 Shadow 600 VLX

Comment

Originally posted by GreenChevelleSS View Post
                The front wheel has the speedometer cable gears so how could it be a post kat? I'll try and get some more close up pics today
                Well, I wasn't saying your front wheel was not a pre, but... all post front wheels still have the slot for a wheel driven speedo to work with it.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I think you may be Right about the post kat rear wheel, the spokes do look straighter than the fronts looking at this old picture. And now that youve pointed that out its gonna bother me having 2 different style wheels. Damn it its all your fault..... just kidding
                  Well it makes me feel better about swaping the front forks, So hopefully everything will go smoothly.
                  Last edited by GreenChevelleSS; 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM.
                  1992 Katana 600
                  1996 Katana 600
                  1995 Shadow 600 VLX

Comment

^ that there is a post rear wheel... 4.5 inches.
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                    X