X

Still the petcock...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still the petcock...

I've been working on a petcock leak for a few weeks now. I've searched through all the threads, but nothing that helps me with my problem.

I POR'ed the tank and when I put it back together and put fuel in it, it was leaking from the petcock. I had never noticed it before, but then again I have never really looked for anything. But looking back it did smell like fuel a lot. I took it apart and cleaned it all, it seemed to work, but then it just started to leak again. It's not that bad of a leak, it's just a drip from the fuel hose nipple. So next I bought a rebuild kit, and it still didn't help. It still has the same leak. I have no idea what's going on. I've taken it apart and double checked the way it's put together, and as far as I can tell it should be good. I took pictures of every step when I first took it apart, and I used those to put it back together, so if it was originally put together wrong, I wouldn't really know.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with this thing?
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Check the hoses for cracks, and make sure you have some sort of hose clamps as well. If that's not it, the other thing I can think of is orings on the two screws that hold the petcock to the tank. Me thinks its coming from there.
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

I've still got the bike off the bike, so none of the hoses are connected at all right now. It's sitting on my table saw. As for the screws that hold it to the tank, it's not coming from there. I can see the fuel coming from the nipple that the main hose connects too.
      Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

Post kat right?... stil should be pretty close to the same as the pre (and I have a full walkthru with pics on that... ).. My guess off hand is if you did a rebuild, and it's still leaking... the seat area where the diaphram oring seals off the fluel flow is either not clean or is not giving a good seat for the new oring.

You did replace that oring right? With the kit?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It is a post, forgot to add that. Yeah, I used the new diaphram that came with the rebuild kit, and that had a new oring on it. Should I give the diaphram a little push to ensure that it's fully in there when I put it back together? I've actually been using your write-up the entire time I've been working on it, it's a great help when I want to double check to make sure everything is in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmann1391 View Post
            It is a post, forgot to add that. Yeah, I used the new diaphram that came with the rebuild kit, and that had a new oring on it. Should I give the diaphram a little push to ensure that it's fully in there when I put it back together? I've actually been using your write-up the entire time I've been working on it, it's a great help when I want to double check to make sure everything is in the right direction.

I would double check the oring is good (no raised molding lines), make sure the seating area is clean and smooth so that it can seat properly... and I would double check the spring that goes behind that to make sure it's not under "sprung" and is pushing hard enough that when no vacuum is applied... it will seal off the flow.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When I cleaned it, I didn't really work on it too much, so I'll go check that. If it's the srping what can I do about that? Would stretching it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmann1391 View Post
                When I cleaned it, I didn't really work on it too much, so I'll go check that. If it's the srping what can I do about that? Would stretching it work?
                Stretching it out a little might... but I mean a little. Don't over stretch it or that could cause problems as well.

Definately check the seating area first though....

krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I took it apart and cleaned the crap out of it today. I then put it back together, and I think I might have actually figured out how that thing works. It's sitting on my table saw again and now I'm just waiting for a leak. Hope this all works. It did still seem to have a bunch of "crud" in there, so that might have been it.

Comment

Working...
                  X